cosleeping arrangement - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-23-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I are trying to figure out a way to cosleep with our son more comfortably. He is 9 months old and we have only occasionally coslept but he sleeps better that way. We currently have a full size bed on a frame. When our son is in the bed I tend to take up a lot of space keeping a good amount of space between him and the edge, and my dear hubs gets almost no space! So I am wondering, what is your set up? do you wish you had anything different or what a dream set up would look like? I'd love to hear from you all!

#2 of 12 Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 PM

Can you put the mattress on the floor? Or can you boxcar LO's crib? When i co-slept I took the side rail of DD's crib and smooshed it between the wall and my bed. That way she had her own little space by us. Another option would be getting a twin bed and adding it next to your bed that way DH can get some space.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#3 of 12 Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We have a mesh railing on the bed (very easy to install) so I don't have to take up half the bed to ensure baby doesn't fall out.  That being said, we have a full bed too and it's just not that comfortable, but we don't have room for a larger bed.  Babe ends up in her bassinet, where she's perfectly happy.  But the rail works great for when she's with us.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 12 Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Sidecar-ing the crib was the best thing ever! DD likes to push herself away from me when she's done nursing. I actually get sleep because I'm not worried about DD rolling off the bed! DH and I both have plenty of room. Google side car crib and you should find the site with the detailed instructions, it pops up first or second. It was super easy.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#5 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Another fan of crib sidecars here!  Our crib is really sturdy, and I scoot over halfway into it to nurse, then I can slip back to my own space and actually sleep in a comfortable position.  I usually sleep right near the edge, so that she can't crawl out of the crib part without crawling over my legs and waking me up.  I'm hoping that eventually, DD will do most of her sleeping in her own space, and we can easily transition her to her own bed.  But for now, it just gives us all more room, and it gives her a place to play in the morning when Mama's not quite ready to face the world yet.  :)

#6 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Another fan of side-carring the crib here. However due to the crib we have, we couldn't take the side rail off, so I had tolift DS in and out of his crib to nurse. It worked fine until he got just too heavy to lift that way from the bed.

At that point (14 mos old), we got rid of our bed frame and put a twin sized bed between out mattress and the wall, block the foot of the twin mattress, and DS sleeps there. I sleep on our bed closest to him and when he needs to nurse, I just roll into his bed, nurse him, then roll back onto ours. And if I get up early/come to bed late (or if I'm exhausted), DH just moves over and does the nighttime parenting. It makes it really easy for us to switch off when the other needs a break.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#7 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM

After co-sleeping w/my first daughter in our queen sized bed and all being somewhat squished (except for the kid), we finally caved and bought a king bed just before baby #2 came. We also sidecarred the crib (never tried it with our first). So I'd say it's my dream setup right now! All 4 of us can fit just fine in the king bed! But I've just started putting the baby (2 months old) in the crib and then sleeping right up next to it. We all have so much space! And also since the crib is there, even if baby is on our mattress, I don't have to worry about her falling out and can put her right up near the edge to give everyone else space. 

I really feel for you trying to sleep in a full! Def add another mattress of some sort if you can't get a bigger bed right now.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#8 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

thank you everyone! I've never heard of using the crib as a sidecar, that sounds like the best option right now, maybe switching to a twin doubled up bed when he gets bigger. I am jealous of the king size bed with a sidecar crib too--luxurious!

#9 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM

I'm jealous of the king bed too...sounding super cozy flower.gif

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#10 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

we ended up putting the bed on the floor with a twin next to it, and keeping his crib up and I LOVE it. He can nap in his crib if I want to shower and need him contained, or he can nap in our bed if I want to snuggle him to sleep (and take a nap too!) and for the nighttime he starts in his crib, then comes to bed with us after he wakes up to nurse. The twin/full beds together are so nice, they match up well and are comfortable even if you lay on the crease. Its like a big slumber party of quilts everywhere, and it is so great to be able to have my husband and our baby in bed together and still be comfortable!

#11 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Yeah we also have a full sized bed right up next to a twin bed.  Our DS was over 30lbs by the time he was 1 (and is over 55lbs now at 2)  so i am glad i never invested in a crib - im sure i wouldnt have been able to lift him in and out of it! 

it does take up a lot of space - but the two beds together are super comfy - also when DS is ready for his own room - we can just move the twin into another room

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#12 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM

We have a funny set up.  In the master bedroom there is a rickety king sized bed that badly needs a new frame, sags everywhere.  In the guest room we have a super comfy full sized bed, and DD's floor bed set up (totally baby proofed little area that can be gated off, we call it her room).  In general we start off most nights with DD in "her room" while we hang out on the rickety king bed in the master bed room.  Occasionally we all three will end up sleeping in the rickety bed, but more often than not we sneak into the guest room at some point to sleep on the comfy bed.  DD wakes up and usually ends up in the full sized bed with us until the morning. Usually daddy picks her up when she wakes up and she sleeps for a couple of hours snuggled with him, then eventually over to me.  Most of the time she sleeps between us.  I wouldn't recommend that for all people but DH is hyper aware of her location.  This set up is not ideal, at all.  I would prefer we just have a comfy king sized bed with this thing to keep the babe from falling out:

http://www.amazon.com/Humanity-Family-Sleeper-co-sleeping-maternity/dp/B000LTN72S

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page