Starting solids...is it just me or...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Is it just me or do people STILL have the expectation that if you aren't feeding your child real food by 5 months, you are weird? Despite the AAP recommendation of no solids til 6 months?

DS is 5 and a half months old. I have friends with babies who started them on rice cereal, bananas, sweet potatoes etc at 4 and 5 months. So many people react with shock when they ask what DS is eating and I tell them "just breast milk."

I am planning on doing BLW also, which I'm sure will cause a new round of shock and horror. wink1.gif

As of now, he has NO interest in solid food, although he likes to drink out of our glasses.

#2 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, ran into this myself from some people, for my parents generation I just told them 6 months is the new recommendation and that usually shut them up, but when it was doctors, daycare workers, etc. asking about it, I just didn't get it. 6 months people! Nobody thought I was terrible or anything, they were just really surprised I was actually following the recommendation. Honestly, with solids, what is the big rush IMO, they get to eat solids forever once they start and their poop goes from smelling pretty neutral to smelling yucky and you have to deal with clean up and preparing their meals. I had no problem waiting until 6 months smile.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#3 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM

People like to be concerned...it gives us something to do winky.gif but honestly I would just follow your LO lead, which it sounds like you are going to do. My son didn't really start eating until he was 9/10 months old, but once he did there was not turning back. Also by waiting we did very little purees and just let him eat what we were eating which is great!

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#4 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM

The 6 month thing is already outdated. There is no reason to wait if the baby shows interest in food and has the required head and trunk control, and a lot of babies do show readiness as young as 4 months. And drinking from your cup is a clear sign of readiness and interest.
#5 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post

The 6 month thing is already outdated. There is no reason to wait if the baby shows interest in food and has the required head and trunk control, and a lot of babies do show readiness as young as 4 months. And drinking from your cup is a clear sign of readiness and interest.

What about the small holes in the intestine that close up around 6 months though? And apparently babies doesn't have all the digestive enzymes they need until about 6 months? Plus, he's not sitting up on his own.

We have some bowel sensitivity in our family too, another reason to hold off on really trying to feed him.

I have given him little dabs of what we are eating and he just finger paints with it. No interest in it going in his mouth. 

#6 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 AM

I started DD at 5.5 months old because she was super interested and sitting very well in the high chair. I didn't push it and offered about a teaspoonful of purée once a day. By around 6 months I switched to baby led weaning and just offered whatever we were eating. I was comfortable starting her a little early because she had perfect head control and good trunk control. We also dont have any food allergies in the family. In retrospect I would probably wait a bit longer and go straight to BLW but I really think she was ready. Not all babies are ready at the same time though and certainly there is nothing wrong with waiting.
#7 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 AM

I started feeding DD runny egg yolk at 3.5 months because she was absolutely interested in eating.  At 3.5 months she could sit up unassisted and she had no tongue thrust reflex.  It was weird.  She was also breastfeeding every 45 minutes still and waking up every two hours all night to eat like a race horse.  She was ravenous.  After the yolks we started her on a variety of vegetables -- but we avoid introducing any cereals.  Now she is just turning 5 months and she holds the spoon herself and wants to eat meat.  The girl is absolutely an epicurean.  I really wanted to wait until 6 months but, geez, she is not having it.  I just went with my gut instinct.  Weird?

Today she eats solids once a day.  It doesn't seem to help her sleep longer at night.  Nor does it seem to have assuaged her hunger for breastmilk.  She just. loves. to. eat. 

Professor mama dedicated to natural birth, breastfeeding, growing our food, cloth diapering, hunting, foraging, a Nourishing Traditions lifestyle, no television, no vaccinations, no circumcision

blogging.jpg at www.number2-7.blogspot.com

#8 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Follow your instinct smile.gif you are on the right track.

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page