Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life With a Baby (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/)
-   -   Is there a safe remedy for helping baby's congestion? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/1369430-there-safe-remedy-helping-baby-s-congestion.html)

mysweetfiona 12-04-2012 07:47 AM

I am all for healing through "being sick". I know it will pass. Also, if there is something that will dislodge the crud from her throat, she would be able to rest. kwim?

What is your experience? She is almost 10 months, 20 lbs. not that I want to give her meds, just a little info. smile.gif

thank you
Lori

LilyTiger 12-04-2012 08:09 AM

You've probably already tried it, but there's nothing like steam for helping clear up congestion.  Closing yourselves into a bathroom with the shower on high will help, as will a humidifier (or two) on high in her room. 

aaahmyeye 12-04-2012 11:50 AM

If it's in her nose as well someone just told me about the Nosefrida snotsucker when my dd was sick.  Worked much better than those syringe bulbs.

mysweetfiona 12-04-2012 12:00 PM

It sure does. :) Not very helping the clogged throat though. Unless, it's a slow process. shrug.gif We have a Penguin, you know the kind: cute, makes cool mist, but not sure if it is productive. Poor baby, that mucus is slapping her throat when coughing. If I could just siphon it out, wouldn't that be great? Although I won't of course, pretty sure that would be traumatic and questionable parenting behavior.

orngbiggrin.gif

I think we'll try a mild garlic soup. Maybe avocado puree, stock, and garlic. Sounds like easy baby food to me. 

was wondering about herb tea.......She' s so young, the older kids have many things they can use, but not baby. Unless, I'm just being too careful. ?

Thank you. Will be sure to breath up everyone's showers!

mysweetfiona 12-04-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahmyeye View Post

If it's in her nose as well someone just told me about the Nosefrida snotsucker when my dd was sick.  Worked much better than those syringe bulbs.

Oh yea? For real! the syringe bulbs are the only kind I can find. They are, em, craaapppy.

Thanks.

mysweetfiona 12-04-2012 12:06 PM

Hey, well what'd ya know! That snotsucker is like a syphon! lol.

BUT, it's unavailable online and at the store. Hmm. Maybe that's the case with just Target.

avismama24 12-04-2012 05:29 PM

I am not a doctor....but have a lot of background in herbal medicine and work with both a natruropath and traditional ped for our son who just turned one years old and weighs 15 pounds, he was born 3 months early, thus his tiny size. Due to his prematurity he gets a lot of colds bc he has a bit of a weaker immune system...I HATE to give him any drugs so I have a ton of natural remedies. He currently has a cold...significant congestion and here is our regime:

Herbs for kids tincture (non-alcohol formula) sweet echinacea (found at any health food store and they can point u to the kids friendly versions)

Elderberry syrup EVERY 2 HOURS!!! that is the important part the first 3-4 days of a cold, really doing it every two hours

Baby tea  2 to 3 "cups" a day about 2 ounces

we usually do chamomile to relax, echinacea root, astragalus, elder berries, and mullein which are all immune boosters and the mullein really helps the throat.

Fresh ginger pack..if her throat chest is really congested we grate fresh ginger and warm it up and lay it on our DS chest in an old sock or something...ginger is really drying and helps to clear up mucous.

We also do the steam shower at night and then use a really strong essential oil like Olbas menthol, you could use Vic's but we don't like to use petroleum products.

Hope this helps some. When using natural remedies I find diligence is the key...you have to be super consistent or they don't work well. We have used this regime for our sons last three colds and we didn't have to go to the Doctors or use any antibiotics, etc. Our natruo also feels that the herbs listed above are totally safe for a baby over 6 months of age and your DD is at a very safe weight of 20 pounds. Feel free to PM  if you want any more resources. Hope your LO is in the mend!

~adorkable~ 12-04-2012 10:11 PM

my twins are doing a nursery school thing for the first time so i have had a string of stuffy noses while they adjust to the world of germs.

i have a steam humidifier (this one) that i have safely placed in their room where they cant reach it and run it very often, i use the hot ones because they dont spew mold or more germs in to the air that the cool mist ones can. plus the warm air just feels good to breath in

and yes the Nosefrida (you can get it on Amazon) is the greatest invention EVER. the kids are now close to 2 and actually ask for it when they setting down to nurse since thats is usually when they notice if they are stuffed up at all. it took me a while to get good at it, but i am now and boy do those things work! warm steam to loosen things up and get it flowing, then the snot sucker to get it out.

i have not had to deal with bad chest stuff, but what they did have once the warm steam help then cough up more effectively and less painfully since it was not as dry of a cough.

mysweetfiona 12-05-2012 08:05 PM

Thank you thank you thank you! I appreciate your suggestions so very much.

I am unfamiliar with a couple things/ herbs mentioned but the nutrition store should be able to help. And I could stock it here for inevitable future crud invasions.

I hope she is on the mend too. Although, I really love the cuddly thang she turns into while she is sick! Nevermind the chores.....

I'm glad for your input! It's encouraging. I love to nurture her back to health. It feels so good helping her and seeing her relief...sweet smile.

britrenee87 12-05-2012 08:15 PM

Steam smile.gif

mysweetfiona 12-06-2012 07:59 PM

We live in MS. The humidity is 89% today. Humidifier is a strange need/ purchase from my perspective. You would think the fresh humid air would fix us all up lickity-split.
:-P

avismama24 12-07-2012 05:33 AM

Hi there.

the humidity will certaintly help DD, in fact it probably seems like her cold is a bit worse bc it is running a lot (which is a GREAT thing). Up here where I'm writing from it was about 10 degrees when I woke up and VERY dry.

I always try to keep in mind that they typical cold lasts 7-10 days....when I do herbal support like i am doing now I consistantly do it every 2-3 hours for the whole 7 days!

Hang in there and hope DD is on the mend.

If you are interested in purchasing any herbs...the most important are elderberry syrup/and or echinacea tincture. You can order them online. www.avenabotanicals.com is my absoulte favorite company from Maine!

colsxjack 12-07-2012 10:16 AM

We use Coryzalia. It can be purchased at most drug and department stores. It is herbal, and OK from >1month old.

http://boiron.ca/en/products/children/coryzalia-children/

We also use Stodal. From the same company.

http://boiron.ca/en/products/children/stodal-children/

And then we use mist and the snot sucker.

And some menthol or vicks baby rub on the chest and bottom of her feet while she sleeps.

mysweetfiona 12-07-2012 11:48 AM

great stuff mommas!

10° weather.....woah!! its warm down here this week. loving it. Bet the stores are gathering up big sales from Christmas shoppers. not sure if I could step outside in 10° How do you do it?

avismama24 12-08-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetfiona View Post

great stuff mommas!
10° weather.....woah!! its warm down here this week. loving it. Bet the stores are gathering up big sales from Christmas shoppers. not sure if I could step outside in 10° How do you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetfiona View Post

great stuff mommas!

Haha...you get used to it :) I grew up in Northern VT, a stone throws away from Canada. Funny though, by yesterday afternoon it was about 25 and really sunny and we don't have any snow yet, and my friend and I took our LO's to the park. We were saying..."what a mild Dec we are having so far....." All in your perspective I suppose ;)

mysweetfiona 12-08-2012 10:22 PM

that's something!