When did baby start sucking her/his thumb? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious.  If your babe sucks/sucked a thumb, when did it start?  

My DD is five months and I REALLY want her to suck that thumb because she is SUCH a comfort sucker at the breast.  We use a pacifier when it is really needed, but not very frequently at all.  

So, when was it?

Professor mama dedicated to natural birth, breastfeeding, growing our food, cloth diapering, hunting, foraging, a Nourishing Traditions lifestyle, no television, no vaccinations, no circumcision

blogging.jpg at www.number2-7.blogspot.com

#2 of 6 Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM

DS is a total thumb sucker....we didn;t encourage or discourage it. He used a paci for a bit, but never really took to it, and then voila he found his thumb. With these types of things I find it is best not to have a prefernce bc the LO's never do what we want them to doROTFLMAO.gifso by having no agenda they figure it out!

Oh he started this behavior on his own at about 5 months

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Our daughter loved her paci, until she decided one day she didn't. She's never been interested in her thumb. Some of my friends' babies have never been interested in pacifiers. My mom said that of the two of us, I loved a pacifier and my sister preferred her thumb. 

I think if your LO does not want to suck her thumb, there's probably not a whole lot you can do. If she likes a pacifier, I'd probably just give her that. Personally I think the pacifier hate gets ridiculous--sure, it's good to wait until breastfeeding is established before starting one--but it's totally possible to have a baby who loves the pacifier and still breastfeeds great, mine did. I think a lot of people worry about paci use because "what if it interferes with breastfeeding" or "what if it's hard to wean her off it later" but, to me, that kind of borrowing trouble is unnecessary. If it becomes a problem later on, you'll deal with that problem THEN, and it might not even become a problem, and in the meantime if it's working, do what works today and let next month or next year take care of itself.  

(Of course, feel free to ignore me if this has nothing to do with your reason for not/rarely doing pacifiers.)

#4 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM

My son has done it since almost day 1 (he's now 8 months). I've tried hard to discourage it and replace it with a pacifier, even if it means waking up all night to replace it lol
I was really bad thumb sucker and both me and my parents got such a hard time from people for it. I personally don't see what's wrong with thumb sucking but everyone else seems to be really against it when bigger kids do it.
#5 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Well, her whole fist really but In-utero... we saw her on ultrasound with her fist up by her mouth less than 24-hours before birth and she was born with a nuchal hand. She pretty much always sticks it in her mouth when frustrated, she will even unlatch to do it. 

#6 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 05:33 PM

My DS will unlatch to suck his thumb too, if he is feeling frustrated! I don't see any harm in thumb sucking.....I don't see many 18 year old boys at college sucking their thumb in college, it will work itself out!

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page