Managing two children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I have an almost 3 year old DD, and a 3 week old DS. Less than a week after being home, I was in the NICU with my baby who was diagnosed with RSV. It's safe to assume he caught it from my daughter, who's in daycare, and had cold symptoms when we came home. Now she's sick again, with something that appears to be worse than the common cold, fever and all.
My question is how can I (or can I ) quarantine my DD from the baby? My husband is trying to step in, but there is no love like mommy's love, so she wants to be underneath me. I'm BF and the baby cries and screams when he's put down. I don't want to create jealousy issues, but I don't want a sick baby again either. HELP!
#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 12:13 PM

I use one of the antibacgterial germicide gels when I pick my DD up from preschool and then make her wash her hands as soon as we get home. She knows she can't touch the baby until she does. But other than that, I'm not sure there is a whole lot you can do. Teach your 3 yr old not to touch the baby's face or hands (since they go in the mouth). I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much already! My 3 month old has already had a stuffy nose twice from her big sister - though thankfully nothing too bad. Also, if it is really really bad, you could always consider not sending your older child to school until baby is bigger or it is no longer cold/flu season.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#3 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM

If you "expose" yourself to your three year old's germs, you will have antibodies in your milk to protect your baby from those specific germs, which would be great. So before you do any handwashing or de-bugging, cuddle up with your three year old.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM

yes, cuddle and nurse everybody! you can pump milk for the 3yr old. it might help her get better.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 5 Old 12-29-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been the handwashing czar. This time everyone but the baby is sick, knock on wood. I think breastmilk antibodies are amazing. I've thought about giving my DD breastmilk, it couldn't hurt so I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page