Spinning to sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 3.5month old, my first, and have an unusual question... I've googled to no avail. I wear him for most of his naps, in an Ergo or a Pikkolo or a Moby. He will sometimes fall asleep with me just walking around, but as he's gotten older he's doing that less, and now I can still put him to sleep in it, almost always, by spinning. I don't remember how I figured it out, but if I stand and spin in a circle, he'll fall right asleep in a minute or two, tops. Is that bad for him? Or is it fine? I mean, it looks funny when I do it in public, but other than that, it doesn't bother me. And it is a practically guaranteed way to get him to sleep! I don't spin super fast, but not slow, either.

Any thoughts? TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I don't see any reason it would be harmful, unless you're getting dizzy to the point where it's a falling hazard.  Otherwise, congrats on finding a way to get the little man to sleep.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM

I agree with Lily. As long as your baby isn't being jostled around to hurt them whatever works. My son loved being bounced and wouldn't fall asleep any other way. For a while we were also using a hair dryer (set to blow cold air) for the white noise. I think if it works, do it. You will know if you are doing something harmful because you won't feel right doing it.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM

What worked for both my kids is bouncing on a yoga ball. Might be worth a shot.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Freakin awesome. I'm prego with #2 and never tried it but gonna stick that idea in my cap if I should be ever so desperate as I was with #1.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Great! I will continue to do it. I was just worried it might be bad, like overstimulation from dizziness or something. But hey, it works and nothing else really does.

@FarmerMomma, I also support his head with one hand and pat his back with the other. Just FYI if you're going to try it. Good luck!

User Tag List