No scheduled - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son, Roan, his nearly 7 months old and I have no plans of putting him on a schedule. Anybody else choosing to be schedule-free?
#2 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hm, no routines at all? That must be very confusing for him. Early development of the brain involves knowing that you are safe and being able to anticipate what's next.
#3 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have never been on a "schedule" but things do tend to have a consistent order. Children build their sense of security on understanding what happens next.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I said no schedule not no routine. Schedule implies using the clock whereas we prefer rythmn and routine.
#5 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

I have never been on a "schedule" but things do tend to have a consistent order.

This is me too.  I've never set a schedule, but DD does tend to get sleepy/hungry at the same times every day.  I just follow her cues and try to get her to sleep at about the same time otherwise she sleeps terribly that night.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#6 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've got a 2.5 and 5 year-old. I never use the clock. We go with the flow. We eat when hungry, which is around the usual times of breakfast, lunch, and dinner anyway, we got to sleep when we're tired, and I let my kids sleep until they wake up (which is usually around the same time everyday).  We do things when we want to do them, and it works for us. Of course, if we have appointments to keep, then I have to keep to that schedule, otherwise, nope.

charliesdragon likes this.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#7 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

@ Erimattsmom Awesome! This is exactly what I meant. I'm so happy to know it works for children as well as babies. I've found it difficult to find other parents that do this.
#8 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, it definitely works for my kids for sure.  thumb.gif 

I've found it difficult to find parents that do as we do as well. shrug.gif

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#9 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM

We are also go with the flow. My 3 yr old has a few extra curricular activities and my 6 month old does fine working around them. As others have said he typically does things close to the same time each day, waking, napping and eating. When my daughter was younger we did eventually get her on a schedule for her meals and naps but I felt she was ready and we went with what she had naturally been doing for a while, ate when she woke up, lunch at 11:30 nap at 1 dinner at dinner time, bath/bed routine start at 7 and this is what worked for her so we went with it.
#10 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM

We are also go with the flow. My 3 yr old has a few extra curricular activities and my 6 month old does fine working around them. As others have said he typically does things close to the same time each day, waking, napping and eating. When my daughter was younger we did eventually get her on a schedule for her meals and naps but I felt she was ready and we went with what she had naturally been doing for a while, ate when she woke up, lunch at 11:30 nap at 1 dinner at dinner time, bath/bed routine start at 7 and this is what worked for her so we went with it.
#11 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM

#12 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM

#13 of 22 Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesdragon View Post

I said no schedule not no routine. Schedule implies using the clock whereas we prefer rythmn and routine.

Same here. We have no set schedule, but my 1 year old has fallen into his own routine. It's pretty flexible as far as timing goes, but he has his own order that he likes. I go with his flow.

I tend to think of a schedule as a more parent centered thing, and a routine as more of a "let the baby decide and follow along" kind of thing... So that's us.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#14 of 22 Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post

I tend to think of a schedule as a more parent centered thing, and a routine as more of a "let the baby decide and follow along" kind of thing... So that's us.
Agreed! I also feel like our bodies aren't static machines. Some days he needs more sleep and so he takes more or longer naps. I want him to be in tune with his biological Rythmn rather than an artificial clock.
#15 of 22 Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM

I think a lot of people here on MDC probably have their babies in more of a routine than a schedule. At our house, we do have bedtimes for our older kids, but the baby tends to nurse to sleep at his convenience.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#16 of 22 Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I think a lot of people here on MDC probably have their babies in more of a routine than a schedule. At our house, we do have bedtimes for our older kids, but the baby tends to nurse to sleep at his convenience.

Good to know. I asked because at play groups all of the mothers talk about is their struggle to put their baby on a schedule. I was beginning to feel like a weirdo!
#17 of 22 Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmattsmom88 View Post
I never use the clock. We go with the flow. We eat when hungry, which is around the usual times of breakfast, lunch, and dinner anyway, we got to sleep when we're tired, and I let my kids sleep until they wake up (which is usually around the same time everyday).  We do things when we want to do them, and it works for us. Of course, if we have appointments to keep, then I have to keep to that schedule, otherwise, nope.

Same here.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#18 of 22 Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM

My daughter is 6 months old. She isn't on a schedule either, but she tends to do things around the same time everyday, and thats fine by me. Im not a big fan of scheduling for babies. We adults dont get hungry at 12:00pm sharp everyday or fall asleep at 8:00 on the dot either. Yes we may do simalar things everyday, but it varries depending on how we feel.
#19 of 22 Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 PM

I remember driving myself crazy with my first trying to get get on a schedule. Fast forward 8 years and 5 kids and now we are totally go with the flow kind of people. We have a very loose routine of the basics (sleep, eat, bath, school) we homeschool so that does allow for more freedom. I've even noticed lately (I'm guessing because of the gloomy weather) that my kids have been sleeping in pretty late which results in a late breakfast, late lunch, late nap for 2 yr old, but by the time super rolls around we all seem back on track and everybody hours to bed at a decent hour (usually between 7: 30 and 9 depending on moms patience level and kids behavior smile.gif
#20 of 22 Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyammons View Post

I remember driving myself crazy with my first trying to get get on a schedule. Fast forward 8 years and 5 kids and now we are totally go with the flow kind of people. We have a very loose routine of the basics (sleep, eat, bath, school) we homeschool so that does allow for more freedom. I've even noticed lately (I'm guessing because of the gloomy weather) that my kids have been sleeping in pretty late which results in a late breakfast, late lunch, late nap for 2 yr old, but by the time super rolls around we all seem back on track and everybody hours to bed at a decent hour (usually between 7: 30 and 9 depending on moms patience level and kids behavior smile.gif

Thank you!! It's so wonderful to hear this from a mom with so much experience!
#21 of 22 Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 AM

We also follow a routine, but no set schedule and by no means watch the clock. I would find it very odd/rude if someone told me I had to eat at a certain time, if I didn't feel hungry, can you imagine that? So weird....I don't understand why we do that to our LO's. Anyhoo...Ds is almost 15 months and we have really adopted the radical unschooling philosophy in our home...you may be interested in learning more about this. www.daynamartin.com (I just like her, but there is a ton of stuff on the web) We never planned to send DS to school, so it makes it easier to not have him "scheduled" bc I don't feel the pressure to "get him ready to go to school" where the whole day is about following a schedule. Congrats on your babe and following your Mama intuition!

charliesdragon likes this.

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#22 of 22 Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avismama24 View Post

We also follow a routine, but no set schedule and by no means watch the clock. I would find it very odd/rude if someone told me I had to eat at a certain time, if I didn't feel hungry, can you imagine that? So weird....I don't understand why we do that to our LO's. Anyhoo...Ds is almost 15 months and we have really adopted the radical unschooling philosophy in our home...you may be interested in learning more about this. www.daynamartin.com (I just like her, but there is a ton of stuff on the web) We never planned to send DS to school, so it makes it easier to not have him "scheduled" bc I don't feel the pressure to "get him ready to go to school" where the whole day is about following a schedule. Congrats on your babe and following your Mama intuition!
Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page