Baby started teething? How do you handle teething pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Mothering sponsor Boiron shared an informative article about teething earlier this month, which you can read here.  It has some great information about the FDA concerns regarding products with benzocaine, how to recognize teething signs, and how to care for new baby teeth when they do come in.

We'd like to get your questions, input and advice that would be helpful for parents dealing with teething. We're also reaching out to our Facebook fans and Twitter followers with a link to this question to invite them to share their input too. Hopefully we can create a wonderful resource for our community of parents to benefit from. If you have a baby teething now or with teeth coming in soon, what are your most pressing questions about teething?  If you've been through teething with your little one, what advice do you have for others? love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I'm interested in any information on the use of belladonna in homeopathic remedies for teething pain.  It's been a source of confusion for me, and I'd like some information on what scientific evidence is out there on whether belladonna is safe for infants (or anyone). 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 34 Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Good question LilyTiger. I've actually been asking questions about homeopathic remediess myself in planning a home remedies kit. Hopefully some of our members with a bit more knowledge on the topic will enlighten us. :)

#4 of 34 Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Helpful Trick:

i wanted to pass on a updated version of a old trick i had heard. folks told me to roll up a washcloth, get it wet and freeze it for my kids to chew on while teething. but it was too big for their little mouths, no matter how thing the cloth. but one day i just took it and folded it in quarters and get it really nice an wet and laid it out on a plate and froze it, and it was great! good surface and thin enough to fit in the mouth, it has been used many many times now. i make a few at a time that fit on a plate, and once they are frozen hard, i can pop them off the plate and stack them till i need them. be careful though , they will dry out in the freezer if left in too long, more than a few weeks. putting them in  sealed container fixes that if you want.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 34 Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM

This is more for toddlers getting molars but my DD absolutely loved chewing on ice cubes when they were coming in.
#6 of 34 Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Love the idea Adorkable! I used to try the frozen cloth with mine and had the same problem. Definitely noting this tip. Thanks!

skycheattraffic, I always worry about a little one choking on an ice cube. Maybe your ice cubes are really small? 

#7 of 34 Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM

The beauty of ice is how quickly it melts in one's mouth. She's been stealing ice out of my drink since about 9 months. Of course it is always under close supervision and if choking happened, I'd deal with it the same way I'd handle food choking.
#8 of 34 Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Makes sense. I guess I worry about our ice maker ice cubes that have sharp edges. But I've read other tips that also suggest ice cubes so hopefully there are no concerns.  thumb.gif

I've also heard of breast milk ice pops, which sounds like a good idea too. love.gif

#9 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM

ice in a mesh feeder solves choking worries!

#10 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS hated cold stuff, so couldn't use any of those moves.Te

Teething rings were largely useless.

Hyland's Teething tablets worked best of all the things we've tried (unfortunately the worst of the teething coincided with the massive recall they had a few years ago, so we had to do without for quite a stretch). 

Calmilla worked okay, but sometimes made DS excitable. 

Used Tylenol when things got really bad. 

Never had much luck with things like Orajel, didn't seem to help, and now with the new info about it coming out, it's just as well...

#11 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by summamumma View Post

Nice idea! thumb.gif  

#12 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM

I have heard of mothers making breast milk popsicles for their babes while they are teething. I plan on trying this with my first child due in just a couple of months. 

#13 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM

With regards to Belladonna and other remedies made from known toxic sources, it is important to understand how the remedies are made. They are high diluted, leaving none of the original material behind, only the molecular impression of the substance. So you get all of the benefit, and none of the toxicity. In fact, some of our most potent and deep remedies are the most toxic substances- like arsenicum, snake venoms, etc....

Scientifically,  a lot of research is being done and it falls under the category of 'nanopharmacology.' What we are learning is that while in the past we have referred to the 'energy' of a remedy, with the technology of today, we are able to actually see more clearly what is left behind, and everything is on the nano-level. Dr. Luc de Montagnier is a French nobel prize scientist who conducted experiments with bacteria where he was able to culture bacteria from water that had been strained of all measureable, physical traces of the bacteria. 

So when you are giving your child belladonna, it is not the actual plant. And, like a D string will vibrate when you play the D note on another string, you are matching the vibrational pattern of illness in the child. 

2 days ago there were headlines about Ibuprofen causing long term kidney damage in children. In 2010, over 40 different OTC medicines were recalled, including children's Tylenol, etc... Homeopathic remedies will never be recalled, and they do not contain any harmful substances. You know exactly what you are giving your child, and can rest assurred that the remedies have been used safely and effectively for 200 years. 

can you tell i love homeopathy  love.gif

Check out the website 'Homeopathy Plus.' It's out of Australia and they do a great round up in their newsletters of research. 

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#14 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM

In response to teething pain, I have been using essential oils for my family for a while now and have found lavender to be quite helpful. My 15 month old son has no less than 4 teeth coming in right now, several of which are molars, and I just take a drop of the lavender and run it along each side of his jaw and in no time the pain subsides, it also has a nice calming affect on him, especially at nap time and bedtime when he doesn't want to sleep because his little mouth hurts.
#15 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM

We are huge fans of Hylands' teething tablets, and the cold rings that you pop in the fridge.

#16 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM

I'm intrigued by the lavender oil idea. I never know what to do about the nighttime pain.

During the day, ice works wonders.

Idea #1, for the younger crowd: Find someone who doesn't mind eating Ring Pops. Yes, those. Avert your eyes, because lollipops are gross, and have them give you the little plastic ring bases. (Or melt away the sugar in warm water. Whatever.) Insert the plastic bases in your ice cube tray and freeze, thus making ice popsicles you can wear on your finger. Then baby can move your hand towards/away from his mouth.

Idea #2, for the solid foods crowd: Little bits of frozen bananas or watermelon are awesome for easing pain during those awful molars. Plus they may be the only things the kid will eat other than breastmilk when he's in serious molar pain.

#17 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM

I literally tried everything when my DS was teething, I never thought it would be such a painful process. 

He was up every 20 minutes for several nights in a row. I was sleeping next to his crib. 

I tried the homeopathic powders then the medicated things, anything so that we (including baby) could get a better night's sleep - nothing worked.

So probably best not to pump a 6 month old full of medication, it's a phase they need to go through...

#18 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summamumma View Post

That is what we did with DS!  It worked wonderfully!  Once DS (2 mo) starts to have teething issues it will be our go-to! thumb.gif

#19 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM

Like a previous poster said, homeopathic remedies are the energetic essense of a substance and not the substance. My 18mo is a belladonna baby. Chamomilia does nothing for her. So grateful to have something that works so well for her. We also have her wear an amber teething necklace.
#20 of 34 Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 PM

Great ideas on this thread. We have found that Belladonna works great for baby. Sometimes I'll make a cup of chamomile tea and drink it myself and give her a little also...It helps :)

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#21 of 34 Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

The FDA recall on Hylands in 2010 was the result of infants who fell ill with symptoms consistent with belladonna toxicity.  I'm not knowledgeable about homeopathics admittedly, but that's quite worrisome for me.  It seems that in that case, the formulation was off and the medication was not merely the "essence" of belladonna.  My concern is that there are no guarantees that a company would get the formulation right in the future either. 

At any rate, the other suggestions are great.  We're not teething yet over here, but I'd like to be prepared!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#22 of 34 Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM

i have done the breast milk popsicles with a good success depending on the ages i gave them, here is the tray i used, it was the only ones i found to be small enough to not be wasteful of my milk

and had a nice drip catch.

http://tinyurl.com/an4z9vc

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#23 of 34 Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Patience and snuggles. 

For us, she wanted nothing to do with ice. I wasn't comfortable using most teething tabs/remedies because I just didn't know enough about them.

On days when she was uncomfortable I kept things simple, focused on being super attentive to her needs and her frame - no pushing through the grocery trip, leaving dinner on the stove to go sit and hold her a little, that sort of thing.  

#24 of 34 Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 AM

Both of my boys have gotten their teeth late and I usually get the raspberry nubby teether or something of the like but my youngest was not into it this time around ... so I went to diapers.com to see if they had any other teether like options. I've tried frozen washcloths and frozen teethers but i don't know if it's too hard on his gums or what but he just doesn't like to hold them in his hand ~ then i found these Zoli Baby Gummy teethers and my 1 year old LOVES them! another trick that we use is giving him frozen peas. They thaw out super quick in his mouth so i don't worry about choking. (though i won't leave him completely unattended)

married to my love, Keith (5.22.08)

mother to Declan (4.25.10) and Cullen (12.21.11)

Baby Boy #3 due January 8, 2014

#25 of 34 Old 02-03-2013, 04:55 PM

We use Hyland's Homeopathic Teething Gel. LOVE it <3 Previous posters are right. The rings were useless. My son hated cold things.like many others.

#26 of 34 Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Hyland's Teething tablets and essential oils worked wonders in our family! Our older children have used them when the 12 yr molars came in and our oldest daughter used the teething tablets when her wisdom teeth were removed because she is allergic to ibuprofen.

#27 of 34 Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM

If you have tried Hylands with no results, it could be attributed to several different things

-it's a combination remedy; that is, there are 4-6 different remedies included. Remedies work best when administered one at a time, because homeopathy is individualized medicine. As a previous poster said, chamomile may be the fit for one child, belladonna for another.

-the doses are very low. Most babies have a strong vitality, and teething is a huge effort by the body/energy. A 6x potency just wont' make a difference. 

- you need to give it frequently if the baby is in distress. At least 3 doses before you decide it isn't make a difference, 30-60 min. apart. If after 3 doses you really didn't notice *anything* then it is likely one of the above reasons I mentioned. 

- Teething is painful;  a remedy can help the pain, shorten the duration and help with symptoms, but it's not likely that it will make it asymptomatic. 

If you *do* want to try a single remedy, check out a home prescribers book, or look online. Just google 'teething' and 'homeopathy' and find a resource that lists the top 6 remedies or so, and read the symptom picture to find the best match. 

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#28 of 34 Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Glad to read all of this. I think my twins are starting the teething process.  They don't seem in pain right now, but are drooling a lot and chewing on hands like mad (they are 4 months).  The mesh feeder idea sounds great!  Someone gave us some of those for a gift..yay.  Sageowl, thank you for the heads up on Camillia.  I just ordered some, but will be on the watch for excitability when I finally need to use it. 

interesting about the lavender oil.  I love lavender, so I would really be into trying this.  I know this is probably a dumb question, since you wouldn't have recommended it if it weren't ok, but ....it is definitely safe to use orally?  And do you think spike is best? I think that is generally noted to be the most medicinal version of lavender? I notice Ananda Apothecary's site says "Lavender essential oil is safe to ingest in small, therapeutic amounts. Recent research involved participants ingesting 80 milligrams of the essential oil per day for 10 weeks. The results were very positive, with a notable lowering of anxiety, improvment of sleep, and an overall increase in perceived well-being."

But it is ok for a baby?  Thank you!

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#29 of 34 Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

The FDA recall on Hylands in 2010 was the result of infants who fell ill with symptoms consistent with belladonna toxicity.  I'm not knowledgeable about homeopathics admittedly, but that's quite worrisome for me.  It seems that in that case, the formulation was off and the medication was not merely the "essence" of belladonna.  My concern is that there are no guarantees that a company would get the formulation right in the future either. 

At any rate, the other suggestions are great.  We're not teething yet over here, but I'd like to be prepared!

I would be interested in checking this out, I had not heard this happened. 

What can happen if you take too much of a remedy, is that you start to develop the same symptoms that you are in fact trying to alleviate! that's why you only give enough to see improvement, and then you stop because the vital force has taken over. It is impossible to 'overdose' on homeopathic remedies, but you can instigate an overstimulation of your own vital force (energy) and experience an aggravation of the symptoms that will pass. The Hylands are only an 'x' potency, so that means there is technically more of the original substance in it than the 'c' potencies which have been more highly diluted. 

If you are interested in homeopathics, then really the best route is to work with a practitioner. You will get professional prescriptions, follow ups, and education about homeopathy, not to mention, much better results. Once you get the hang of it, then getting a home prescribers book and working from home is awesome! 

#30 of 34 Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM

I used to give my girls a cold carrot. If they don't have that many teeth it's great. Just snip both ends off and hand it to them in a highchair they think it's hilarious and gnaw on it forever. Nursing always makes them feel better to. Driving yourself crazy about it is a waste of time. It's over in a flash. It used to make me crack up listening to mom's constantly blaming everything on teething just find ways to keep you and them sane, distraction is also a good way to help.

Tags
Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Camilia Teething Relief

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page