Question about sleep training for those with experience or lack of - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought nursing at night was very easy. It releases a hormone in you that makes you tired. I'm a bad sleeper and if I woke up, I knew I'd only be awake till the baby woke up again, and that I'd fall asleep nursing her.

My second baby slept through the night right away, as I said earlier, but that was fine obviously too, but waking at night wasn't a big deal for me. I think how much you hate that will depend on how much you feel your sleep is interrupted. The great thing about co-sleeping is being to just half wake-up and lean over and nurse and then fall back asleep. In fact, sometimes I'd wake up to find her latched on and nursing. At some age she seemed to be able to find what she needed on her own.
#32 of 35 Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep, I lived on 15th and PPW for a couple years in the mid-90's!  :)  (Then it got pricey and I moved to Fort Greene... then THAT got pricey... you know how it goes.) 

Heehee, I live on 15th and 8th ave- one block from PPW! :) Yes, pretty pricey. Hence us staying in our (very crappy...no laundry no dishwasher and rundown) one bedroom even after babe is born.

Woo on the GPA!  It sounds like I'm the exact opposite of you... I "test well", but my grades in college and grad school were more like 3.2 or 3.3. 

Well, this is quite the opposite of how I was in college 10/11 years ago when I graduated with a 2.7!!! I've come a long way. We'll see now if I get into a program. But thank you! I feels good to be done with stage one, prereqs. 

Another cautionary tale here... when I tried to EBF my child, "boobie bootcamp" and all that, she ended up in the pediatric ER with dehydration and jaundice. :(  I hired two different IBCLCs and a postpartum doula, but breastfeeding still didn't work out for us.  So, not to scare you, but you might want to research sources of donor milk in your area, just in case you end up needing them. 

Thank you for the heads up. Sorry you had to deal with that! I probably won't look into donor milk though. Neither my mom nor sister had trouble with nursing and I am expecting to be the same. My sis has nursed 3 children and even 2 at a time with the first two (though she didn't love doing that) but nursing was never an issue for her and we share much of the same genetic code. I can already see colustrum coming out and I'm at 27 weeks. Not saying at all that it will be easy but I'm going in expecting to not have too many problems. Or hoping not to. Of course I cannot predict the future. 

#33 of 35 Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoolife View Post

Side note Loogiejane:
Although I love nursing my baby now, it was rough going at first. People kept telling me that if the baby latches correctly it won't hurt. That's bull. It still hurts and a lot for the first couple of weeks. Don't let it discourage you.

Yea, I'm not looking forward to any painful part of the process. That's the biggest complaint I hear from women that it can hurt...sore nips, dry/cracking nips, etc. Hopefully women at the local LLL meeting I plan to attend will have good advice. In addition to my sis who nursed for 5 years nonstop. I won't let it discourage me though. I know that getting to be comfortable with it takes perseverance so I'll have to keep teling myself that. Thank you for the encouragement!

#34 of 35 Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogiejane View Post

So if I dont want to, I don't *have* to do bottles. Part of me feels badly that DH would never get to feed babe. I know he would really love it even if it was once in a while.

Just wanted to comment on this; I wouldn't feel bad about dh not being able to feed the baby. At 6 mo, most babies start solid food, so your dh can have plenty of opportunities to feed his baby (and deal with the mess wink1.gif)

There are other occasions to bond with baby besides bottlefeeding.

ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif
#35 of 35 Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post

Just wanted to comment on this; I wouldn't feel bad about dh not being able to feed the baby. At 6 mo, most babies start solid food, so your dh can have plenty of opportunities to feed his baby (and deal with the mess wink1.gif)

There are other occasions to bond with baby besides bottlefeeding.

No I mean I'd feel bad because he'll want to. Not because I really care. He has mentioned how it would be nice if I wanted to go out for a a break and he could give the baby a bottle. I'd feel bad because its something he'd like to do. But we've already talked about other ways he can bond. I mentioned baby massage. He loved that. 

I realize not all children are this way but my niece didn't eat solids til she was almost 12 months. She just wasn't interested. And now at 9 yrs old she has such a broad palate--shell eat anything. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page