Best Baby Bathtubs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I are about to have our first child in March.  We have been stressing like crazy and trying to get everything ready.  I had just had a quick question for you guys about baby bathtubs, we have heard from friends that some are not as safe as other because they slide around or they're not formed as well for the baby.  We found this website and we like that it says they are the top rated for safety but I just wanted to see if any of you have used these types and what you thought about them. Thanks!

http://www.squidoo.com/best-baby-bathtubs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I didn't bother with a baby bathtub at all.  I got a giant sponge and laid baby on it in a few inches of water and then later, when she could sit up, sat her on it in the sink.  We have a small house and didn't have room for a bathtub that would have no place to live.  We've never missed not having one.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 16 Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!!  While we're on the topic of getting reviews for things.  Me and my husband found a similar site for baby swings.  I've heard a lot of mothers say that they couldn't survive without a baby swing so I think it might be a good idea to get one.  We found this site and it has Fisher Price and Graco brands which are pretty nice I think?  But I just wanted some advice and wanted to make sure this was an ok before before I got one.  Here's the site:

http://www.squidoo.com/best-baby-swings4

#4 of 16 Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM

We have the Pri Eurobath and we like it, but I'm sure any tub is fine or none at all if you have a bathtub you can use (we don't). Don't get the Graco Zooland swing. The motor is terrible and it barely even goes. Look for a swing that plugs in so it doesn't eat up a lot of batteries. Check Amazon reviews.
#5 of 16 Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Oh, and as far as safety, safety depends on you holding onto your baby while you are bathing her, good supervision, checking the temp of the water, etc. Not on the make and model of the tub.
#6 of 16 Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM

I have the Eurobath and love it as it works from when they are little until the stop wanting to sit still for a bath (varies by child obviously!) and it is just plastic, so easy to clean and keep clean and it is also fairly inexpensive. It is big though, for us it was fine because we just stored it in the guest bathtub, upside down, when not in use and used that tub for the baby only, but not everyone has two full baths. As far as safety, it does a good job holding baby, but for any bath you have to be right there the whole time of course which is what really matters as far as safety. And yes, some folks just do baths in the sink. I think this works just fine, but since I had an extra bathtub that could be devoted to baby, I preferred to use that and keep the sink for dishes.

For swings, I personally would not get one ahead of time as not all babies like them (our DD did not). If you find a gently used one or one on sale and don't mind it taking up space, maybe go for it, but I think swings are very dependent on baby and it is much better if you can try one with your baby at a friend's house or something before purchasing. Those linked swings look fine, but it just really depends on what your baby likes.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 16 Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM

I have always made a point of bathing my baby with me. :) I love taking my baby into the bathtub with me to bathe them. I have two kids, and I miss it now that we don't all fit in together.
Also! There are some cool bathtub bottoms you can get that are bumpy and not slippery, they rock. :)

Hunter Zen Watson 12/17/09
and
Jordan Christine Watson 09/13/11

#8 of 16 Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I have the The First Year's Infant To Toddler Tub with Sling.  The sling was nice when he was small, once he turned 2 months we took the sling out and now at 5 months he's about to grow out of it (I have a huge kid, though).  I like it because it props the baby up in a semi-seated position.  He seems happy & relaxed.  I agree with the poster above, though - safety really depends on you, not the tub.  Get EVERYTHING ready before you put the baby in the tub, because once he's in there I can't take my eyes off him for a second!

As for swings, I would wait until the baby is born and then see what the baby likes - swings are expensive, and babies are fickle.  In a pinch, you can also do the carseat swing - my husband straps the baby in the carseat and then swings it back and forth and it calms him down in an instant!

mom to Atticus, born 08/27/12, and baby #2 due 05/07/15.
#9 of 16 Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM

We have both a hard Winnie the Pooh blow up one that's great because when he used to flop around I was afraid he'd hurt himself, with the blow up, you can lean them, prop them, etc. The length of the tub also makes it too short for them to accidentally slip under and/or hit their head when they're a few months older. It also has a suction cup to stick it to the side of the tub when it's not in use. 

As for swings, mine was a life saver. I think it's the graco luv n' hugs (something like that). I've heard that the motor on them can go but Graco will send you a new one if it does. Mine hasn't gone yet, even though I use it for 2-3 hours a day (it's the only thing my son still naps in) for the last 10 months. This one is good up to 30 lbs which should last until they're 2 maybe. 

#10 of 16 Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM

We have this one and have liked the usefullness through various stages. It has worked to put it on our kitchen sink or in the tub itself.  Baby can recline on one side and sit up on the other as they get bigger. After two kids, it has worked from newborn until they were ready to sit in the big tub without a baby tub.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Comfort-Newborn-Toddler/dp/B000GBGO26/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#11 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM

I would always take a bath with my babies.  It was a nice time to get a bedtime nurse in.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#12 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Never real used the baby tub for either DD. After first bath at home, baby started coming into the tub with me.  I know some really like them, but I kind of think that if you have space limitations they are something you can do without.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#13 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 AM

I've always wondered, those who say bathing with your baby is easier, HOW do you do it? smile.gif ...do you have someone help you and take them when you're done so you can finish your bath? I've tried this several times and it just didn't work for me. I had both hands full of a slippery, squirmy baby, then when I got out of the tub I was cold and naked until I got my son all dressed and warm... it was not an easier experience for me! LOL

#14 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Escaping- I do often have hubby take the baby, wrap her in a warm towel, and maybe put on the PJ's.  Usually, I will then turn on the shower to get a bit cleaner.  It is pretty hard to do on your own.  I have done it than way- letting baby hang out in the towel while I rush to get dressed- but it is not relaxing bath time for me, just seemed to be an easier way for baby to really enjoy the bath.  Now that she sits well on her own, I just sit by the tub and let her play or put her in with her big sister.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#15 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM

Escaping- When I bath with my babies I'll soap my pits and other necessities one-handed.  Then we get out together and usually go straight to bed.  Those early months I sleep topless so it's easy to just hop into bed and nurse the kiddo down.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#16 of 16 Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We have this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/5172339?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem and used it til about now (6 months) with a big "sponge" (the size of the baby, you can find it at walmart for about 6-7$ if I remember well) that I use now for my own back in the tub loll! now I just lay him in the tub, or I sit him in it while I sit on a milk crate to wash him or like tonight take a relaxing bath with him :) (he can sometimes be "calm" if he has a rubber duck or book to play with)

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page