Cup Feeding a 9 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I saw several threads on cup feeding in the breastfeeding section but those are mostly about newborns and nipple confusion. I have a different issue and thought this section might be more useful. 

My nine month old son has a cleft in his soft palate which will be repaired in about a month. We are not supposed to use a bottle or sippy with a spout or valve around the time of the surgery. I've been trying to teach him to cup feed but we are having a hard time. 

I think I have finally found the right vessel to hold the milk. A glass a little bigger than a shot glass seems to avoid his nose and not be so big that it pours out the side of his mouth. 

He doesn't seem to be manipulating the milk correctly in his mouth. I can see the liquid pooling behind his teeth. He's not getting it to the back of his mouth and down his throat. He has previously been bottle fed with a special valve that keeps the liquid in the nipple. He then squeezes it out into the back of his mouth. He does fine with smashed food (not pureed). 

We've been practicing off and on for a while and in the past week I've been more persistant. Milk get everywhere! I didn't want to use my pumped milk for practice or formula so we've been using his sister's very vanilla soy milk. It is sweet so he is enthused!

Any suggestions?

#2 of 2 Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had one of these for DD when she was around one. It has a lid that tilts when baby's lip pushes against it and lets the liquid flow. It isn't a spout or a valve that resists but it stays closed unless baby uses her mouth to push. Basically it's neater than an open cup and a good transition tool.
http://m.toysrus.ca/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_non_us&url=%2Fproduct%2Findex.jsp%3FproductId%3D13012533&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysrus.ca

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page