Terrified of hemangioma! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 11 week old DD has been diagnosed with a hemangioma on her cheek. It's a small red looking scratch and now a vein has popped up. After reading about them I made the mistake of googling images and couldn't believe how crazy and out of control the hemangiomas can get!!! Any mama's out there who babe didn't turn into the size of an apple? I'm so worried for my little girl and it sounds like the best option will be to wait it out but if they become huge and finally start to go away will she be super deformed? I don't mean scars. I've heard about propranlol but is sound possibly dangerous (immune suppression? Possible heart failure?) I'm sure I'm jumping off the deep end but I am looking for reassurance that perhaps not all hemangiomas become massive? Or if so do they ACTUALLY go away without treatment or surgery? Help! New mommy in distress
#2 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I would talk to you doctor and ask for some reassurance.  After quickly googling hamangioma, it seems that most cases resolve themselves and that you have little to worry about.  I'm not sure why you're asking about "super deformities" or "heart failure".  If your doctor hasn't said to worry, I would just accept that your daughter will be one of many with this condition who end up without any problems whatsoever.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My niece was born with a hemangioma on her arm.  It was about the size of two pencil erasers.  Now she's 4 years old and it has faded/shrunk considerably.  It's barely even noticeable.  There's been no medication or anything else involved--it's just resolved itself on its own.  Good luck!

#4 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 AM

My son had two hemangiomas - one on his upper arm and one on his upper leg. They have both resolved almost completely (I think there is still a small dark area on his arm but I'm not even sure anymore). He is 8. They never got bigger than a quarter. My friend's daughter had one on her face and it has also resolved - I think hers was around half-dollar sized.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#5 of 6 Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Look into propranolol. It's not nearly as dangerous as you think. Indeed, it's become first line therapy at most of the leading hospitals dealing with hemangiomas. Especially for hemangiomas on the face, it's no longer necessary to do nothing and wait it out. Www.birthmark.org is a great resource, and they can also point you to docs in your area who focus in hemangiomas
#6 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM

My son had a huge hemangioma on his hip at birth.  It disappeared by the time he was around 3-4?  Not totally gone, but it's now only a raised area, only slightly raised, and with no coloration.  You can't tell it's there unless you look really close.  And its borders shrank as well.

My DH has a hemangioma on his brain stem, which is much more worrisome.  =/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page