How often do you bathe your newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 5 Weeks old. And after about 4 days he gets stinky, especially in his diaper area. So how often do you give your baby a bath?
#2 of 33 Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM

I didn't bathe them too often. Every 4 days sounds good. You can always do a sponge bath. If you bathe them too much they tend to get drier skin. Whatever works to keep them clean and comfortable. I avoid soap and prefer just water most of the time.
#3 of 33 Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I clean his diaper area every change of course, but only bathe him in plain water about once a week. He's breastfed and wears cloth diapers (prefolds and wool pants) if that makes any difference.

#4 of 33 Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

We are the same...breastfed, cloth diapers. But he only poops every few days so I have not been wiping him with every change. Maybe that would help!
#5 of 33 Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I bathed my newborns about once a week as well. Both exclusively breastfed. We used cloth for one and disposables for the other but we always wipe them with very nappy change.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 33 Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

We only bathed our daughter about every two weeks when she was brand new, but she was wiped with every diaper change.  Once she started spitting up a lot, we started bathing her a little more frequently or doing sponge baths.  Usually just with water or a tiny bit of Dr. Bronners.  I agree with PP that their skin gets dried out very easily.  And since they're not super dirty from crawling around or anything, it's not like you need lots of soap or scrubbing. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#7 of 33 Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM

We bathed DS about once a week. I did give him a wipe down with every diaper change, less to worry about him being clean and more to make sure that all those little folds of skin get opened up to air out a bit.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#8 of 33 Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did every day. It was nice activity that my kids loved. They seem to sleep better after a bath too. We did not use any soup except Ph balanced soup in the diaper area.

swede likes this.
#9 of 33 Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM

It was about once a week. All my kids get bathed once a week, at the most, even as babies.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#10 of 33 Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM

Every two days or so... My 2nd loves baths, she relaxes in the water so I bathe her everyday
#11 of 33 Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Once her cord dried up and fell off, I bathed Little Miss every day.  We don't use soap on her every day, unless she needs it.  As a toddler, she needs it.  energy.gif

I oil up her skin afterwards to counteract any drying effects.  We shampoo her every other day or as needed as well. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#12 of 33 Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM

We bathe our 8 week old about once a week but since we EC I stand with her at the sink so often that I end up washing her diaper area with water at least once a day.
#13 of 33 Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Another reason I loved daily baths it because it was an amusing play time for the baby and also getting used to daily baths. My kids take a bath or shower every day,

#14 of 33 Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM

When our baba was newborn we started bathing him almost every day after about 3 weeks. This would usually mean DH or I in the bath with babaloo playing, and gently "floating" him in the water - he absolutely loved being in the bath and I guess it was a way for us to establish a loose routine at least for ourselves. When he was that little we never used soap on him and only "washed" in between the folds (underarms, neck) using fragrance and colour free aqueous cream. Sometimes I would even BF him while we were bathing and it was a nice time to bond and cuddle skin to skin.

bfinfant.gif     femalesling.GIF     familybed1.gif     homebirth.jpg working at being the best version of myself

#15 of 33 Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM

We just started giving DD a bath nightly w/o soap though and she's 12 weeks. She's started a teething cycle I think and is suddenly cranky before bed and since she loves the bath we take one with her each  night. Before this though I only bathed her every 3-4 days or so when she got super stinky and wiped her down each morning in her neck folds and under arms to get out the breast milk she had spit up.  Bath time is fun and DH loves to take one with her, its a great time for them to bond since he's so busy with school and work and i get her all day right now. 

No matter what the world you'll always be my baby -djm  

Alicia

New mom as of 11/30/13  bfinfant.gif

#16 of 33 Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 AM

We did about twice a week.

But yes, do wipe down after every change. Old pee has a stinging effect on the skin. We just wipe him with a wet washcloth at every change.

#17 of 33 Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I dont use wipes on DS' skin when i change his diaper... i rinse him off under the sink, so he has not gotten stinky at all yet.  He is 2 weeks old today and I may give him his first bath tonight.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#18 of 33 Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

We don't use wipes either but wet washcloths. I have been wiping him with one every diaper change and the stinkiness has gotten better.
#19 of 33 Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 PM

I'm an every-day bather for the kiddos, usually in the evening before bed.  If there's a reason why a bath doesn't happen that day, then I do "tops and tails" meaning I wipe down their head, ears, nose, face, neck, mouth, etc. with one washcloth and their diaper area with another washcloth.  It's a mini sponge bath.  I sleep better when I know they're clean.  I feel better when I've showered/bathed, so I feel like they would feel better being clean too!

swede likes this.
#20 of 33 Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM

It's been years (my youngest baby will be 15 tomorrow)  but, since you asked:

Daily - usually after the big morning poo.

We lived (and still live) in a hot and humid climate and it helped the BBs be more comfortable.

#21 of 33 Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 PM

I usually just bathed my kids from NB-3 months when they started getting a bit smelly or had one of those blow-outs that no amount of wipes can handle lol. With the stink issue, usually once a week, blow-outs...well, a bit more unpredictable. 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#22 of 33 Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 PM

I bathed with my daughter every day, but it was because I wanted a bath, not because she was dirty. I never used soap on her or shampoo, just the water. I fondly remember our baths together as a relaxing, connecting time. 

#23 of 33 Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM

Yeah we took a lot of baths together too, It was hard on my back to try and bend over a bath. I say two or three times a week.

#24 of 33 Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 PM

With a newborn, usually every 3-4 days and at least once a week, sometimes more depending. She was BF and was not a spitter-upper so she didn't get grimy too often. She liked baths pretty well, so sometimes I would try that to soothe her when nothing else was working. When they are really little, they don't need baths very often, but if they like them its no problem to give them one everyday or whatever either. After the newborn stage, I usually switch to every other day unless extra sweaty/dirty/etc. That's what I do for myself too.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#25 of 33 Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My baby is very sweaty so even when he was a newborn it was every other day (besides, the sound of water running really soothes him) and now that he started solids it's pretty much every day! If we miss a day dh gives him a sponge bath!

LLQ1001 : I sit on a milk crate to bathe him, so much better on the back!!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#26 of 33 Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

In our family, we bathe/shower daily, and ALWAYS with soap.  The only time I skip soap is if it's been a gross hot summer day I and feel like crawling out of my skin and can't focus on cooking dinner until I just hop in the shower and rinse with cold water for a bit...but if course I've already showered once that day...it's shampoo and body wash every morning for me.  I set this good example with my kids right from birth.  They got daily baths, with soap, from the first day I was recovered enough from the csecs to stand in front of the kitchen sink for 10 minutes.  A particularly bad blowout might require a secondary washing from the poop-line down.  I can't even fathom not wiping or rinsing one way or another during a diaper change, and I used cloth part-time on both kids.  What does cloth have to do with it?  Pee still touches the skin.  I guess if you're ECing and not missing much, a big ablution wouldn't be necessary each time. 

I used a good natural soap for baby baths and followed with a natural moisturizer.  The kids got little mini massages each day.  Dry skin was never an issue.  Matter of fact, my kids both had unusually gorgeous skin as babies.  Probably because it was clean.  eyesroll.gif

Bring back the old MDC
#27 of 33 Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 AM

When mine were little babies, it was about once a week, sometimes twice if they got dirty. Their skin seemed nicer and healthier when they weren't bathed too often. That could be specific to my family as I have sensitive skin too. Bathing less often seemed preferable to me to bathing and then adding something else to make the skin stop being so dry.

Then when they're toddlers it's more often as they get dirty more often - maybe every other day to every few days in the winter, but probably every day in the summer when they're outside getting dirty a lot.

At some point during childhood they get a bit stinky if they don't bathe every day, and then of course they start to bathe or shower every day.
#28 of 33 Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Depends on the age, but notion of DS "stewing in his own juices" always made me do it at least every other day...but usually it was just a warm-water-only bath below the waist in a baby tub.  A full on bath with actual soap in the water and headwashing only happened about every 3-4 days. 

#29 of 33 Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

In our family, we bathe/shower daily, and ALWAYS with soap.  The only time I skip soap is if it's been a gross hot summer day I and feel like crawling out of my skin and can't focus on cooking dinner until I just hop in the shower and rinse with cold water for a bit...but if course I've already showered once that day...it's shampoo and body wash every morning for me.  I set this good example with my kids right from birth.  They got daily baths, with soap, from the first day I was recovered enough from the csecs to stand in front of the kitchen sink for 10 minutes.  A particularly bad blowout might require a secondary washing from the poop-line down.  I can't even fathom not wiping or rinsing one way or another during a diaper change, and I used cloth part-time on both kids.  What does cloth have to do with it?  Pee still touches the skin.  I guess if you're ECing and not missing much, a big ablution wouldn't be necessary each time. 

I used a good natural soap for baby baths and followed with a natural moisturizer.  The kids got little mini massages each day.  Dry skin was never an issue.  Matter of fact, my kids both had unusually gorgeous skin as babies.  Probably because it was clean.  eyesroll.gif
That's great that it works for your family, but the implication that other people's babies are dirty is pretty rude. I can definitely believe that some babies would be dirty/grimy without a daily bath (especially spitters or sweaty babies), my DD was not at all in the newborn stage and I've met many Moms IRL and online who had the same experience. Personally, my skin and my DD's skin would be way too dry if we used soap everyday when not needed and hair washing everyday is unnecessary for us either. I too always wipe down with something at each diaper change, unless I accidentally changed a dry diaper.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#30 of 33 Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

I agree with Quinalla.  The tone of your post is a little insulting.  My daughter has gorgeous skin and we only bathe now every other day at most.  And when she was a newborn, I would never have traded that wonderful newborn smell for anything.  We bathed every few weeks when she was tiny and never had diaper rash, cradle cap, or any skin problems whatsoever.  And she smelled glorious.  I love that newborn baby smell. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page