Baby has peed very very little today...has cold and congestion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Am very worried. From two days my 6 mo old has the cold and congestion and yes I know is nursing very little and with difficulty. Today his diaper is hardly filled with pee and in the last 6 hours - has peed just once. His eyes are tearing up and otherwise he is acting very normal (for an infant with a cold) but am worried about dehydration. What should I do? Call his doctor or take him to emergency?

#2 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Has he had expressed breast milk before?  It may be easier for him to get the milk from a spoon, cup, or bottle rather than nursing directly when he is congested.  

#3 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM

Is he having difficulty nursing due to the nasal congestion?  My daughter had RSV at two weeks and was congested her first year.  It made nursing difficult.  I would often squirt milk up her nose and then aspirate the boogers out so she could feed well.  It might help.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#4 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I don't respond to a pump :-(

We are regularly using the nose frieda...weird thing is due to the congestion (or not) he is making a lot of sucking noises but the diaper is pretty dry. Pretty worrisome.

#5 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM

Babies can make a lot of noise while stuffy but not be getting a lot of milk.  In my non-medical opinion I think you need to get him un-stuffy.  Also, too much aspirating can irritate the mucus lining and make it swell, causing more congestion.

At six months I would think it would be okay to supplement with a bit of water for this situation.  You could take a syringe and give him ~ 1/4 tsp every 15 minutes, maybe a bit more.  When my kids are sick with vomiting if I give them a Tbsp every 15 minutes they stay well hydrated, and they're 5 and 3. 

You might also make a bit of tea, I would give mullein tea made from the leaves to my daughter when she was little (~2-3 months starting out) to help her clear her lungs.  The mullein helps a person produce mucus so they can finally cough it up.  It can also calm a cough.

Kali bicromicum is also useful for those nasally colds.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#6 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Can I give the Kali to a 6 mo old? It states from 2 yrs on your page. And thanks...now how do I find Mullein in time to treat this cold?

#7 of 9 Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 AM

I've given Kali to under-2's.  I just give less.  Also, if it's the hard pellets I'll wedge them between the cheek and gums to prevent inhaling. 

I don't know where you live, but I find my mullein around me.  I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so it's never really winter here, though.

#8 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

I've given Kali to under-2's.  I just give less.  Also, if it's the hard pellets I'll wedge them between the cheek and gums to prevent inhaling. 

I don't know where you live, but I find my mullein around me.  I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so it's never really winter here, though.

I live near Seattle. You mean you find Mullein outside? I am always scared to death of finding plants that look exactly alike and one is poisonous....anyway...where else can I find mullein tea? Wholefoods?

#9 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM

I honestly have no idea where you could buy it in a brink-n-mortar store, I've only seen it offered online.

It probably grows in Seattle, but you would have to know what you're looking for.  Mullein is extremely easy to identify, IMO, but I totally understand if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page