Compost pail for cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A while ago we started using one of those stainless steel compost pails (1.5 gallon capacity-- about 1ft tall and 9in across) to store kitty litter poop on it's way to the dumpster. It's been amazing at cutting down smells because the steel doesn't pick them up like porous plastics do, and the carbon filter under the vent holes works really well. 

I'm outfitting baby's nursery right now, and wondering if something like this would be useful for diapers. We are 80% on going for cloth prefolds + covers. 

Is this too small?

Do you use a pail or trashcan or just a lined bag?

How does it work on odor, and do you need to constantly disinfect the inside of it to keep it from smelling up? 

(BTW-- I know kitty poop is stinkier than baby poop, but I've just been so frustrated with how many smells all of these plastic-lined trashcans pick up when a simple steel can would solve the problem-- except I can't find any big enough to replace our other trash cans.) 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM

We use a 5 gallon Home Depot utility bucket with a lid (I think it was $5), which we keep in a closet across from the bathroom and the room that the change table is in (we keep it in a downstairs play room and not the bedroom).  Honestly, it doesn't smell until you take the lid off, but its never off for long.  When we do diasper laundry I rinse it out and back in the closet it goes.  It's not pretty, but it works.  I think 1.5 gallons is going to be way too small...our bucket holds ~18 diapers, which, when our babes were tiny, was about 2 days worth of dipes. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think you'll want something much bigger for CDing.  You'll need to fit 10-15 diapers in there a day.  If you wash every other day (which is reasonable), you'll want something that can hold up to 25 or 30 diapers.  I made a large wetbag out of two pieces of PUL sewn together and hang it from the nursery door.  Smell isn't really an issue until they start solids (at least in our case).  And if you're spraying poop off, smell is still not really an issue.  Many people who CD notice that open air containers are actually better for smell than closed ones.  The air circulation prevents a lot of the really gross smells that you'll encounter if they're shut in.

Wetbags are nice because you can just throw them right into the washer with the diapers and they get clean and stink-free.  The same thing would apply to a pail with a liner.  I personally wouldn't use a pail without a liner since rinsing it out would be more of a pain than I'm willing to put up with.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#4 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM

I agree that you'll want something bigger for all the diapers. That said, we have at times had a small bucket close to the changing table that could hold a few diapers, and then a couple of times a day we would take it out to the big bucket in the garage. Or once a day on a hard day. So it could be a good option for keeping the smell down in your living area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page