interrupted sleep - grumpy and tired all day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd made peace with my 11-month-old son's need to nurse at night, but we're having an issue now. The problem is that the frequency of wakings has gone up over the last couple months (at least every two hours), while his solids intake has either remained constant or, more recently, decreased. Nursing during the day has remained the same. He's obviously hungry all night. Again, no big deal if that's what he needs, but he's constantly yawning during the day and gets grumpy easily when he's tired (most of the time). The most he'll nap throughout the day is 1:45 total and he's in bed for 11-12 hours at night.

So I guess what I'm asking is - I know a lot of people don't night-wean for a long time and like to wait it out. What if night feelings are affecting sleep quality and leaving baby grumpy and frustrated? At what point are night-wakings considered disordered sleep?

Thanks in advance!

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

#2 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Hmmm. My 2.5 to and now my 4 mo both are very big eaters and growers and ate/eat every 2-3 hours at night. If I can hear tummies growling at night, I feed my baby! wink1.gif I finally felt comfortable night weaning DS1 at 18 month and we used Jay Gordon's method.

Was just thinking yesterday how I "only" have one more year of all night feeding a and THEN I can sleep . Or at least sleep better :/

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM

I have no suggestions, becuase I am right there with you, with my 13 month old. Since she was born, she has "slept through the night" (5 hours and 6 hours) exactly two times. Nurses every 45 mins-2 hours every night, all night long. I am beyond exhausted and have an older child to care for, as well. Best to you!

AP/SAHM to two under four

#4 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

If we do have to night-wean, we will try Dr. Jay's method after he turns one. He's a stubborn baby so I don't know if it'll work!

Yes, I am very exhausted but mostly ok with it at this point. I am still worried for him, though, and how tired he is throughout the day. Given that he's doing great in terms of development (physical and behavioral), maybe it's not a big a concern...

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page