exersaucers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry I'm not sure where to post this...
I'm looking into the kidco gopod foe my lo
Dos anyone have experience with this?
Also, does anyone have any objections with using these? I wear my baby as much as possible but recently reinjured my shoulder and need to give carrying a break at certain times duing the day to help it heal with physioplan. Even with my ergo it aggrevates the shoulder greensad.gif I really don't like having to us these gadgets but this seemed to be a better alternative to the exersaucers with all those crazy toys attached.
Thank you smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is a tool, like any other, that can be used wisely, or abused.  There is nothing inherently evil about an exersaucer.  There is also nothing wrong with needing to have a break physically or emotionally from constant contact, injury or not.  There is no "checklist" for being an attached, attentive parent...and using tools available to help you out when you need it, within the overall scheme of an attached, engaged parent-child relationship is NOT going to damage your child, or your bond with your child, in any way.  Wheter you buy a new gopod, or find a used exersaucer and take the toys off of it (or leave them on!), or find some other thing to keep your kiddo safe and happy while giving your shoulder time to heal, as it rightfully should, you and your child will be fine because you are an engaged parent.  

There are absolutely people who have objections to any sort of "baby contraption"....but I learned early on in my parenting career that rigid thought patterns soon led to a miserable/spread thin/burnt out me, which led me to be way less attached and attentive than just doing whatever minor thing I was questioning.  Sometimes we have to give on our ideals and live the life we currently have with the children we have, and not worry whether what we're doing is "AP enough", so long as we're still overall engaged and connected with our kids.    

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There's a huge difference between using these things for twenty or thirty minutes to get a little break and having your kid remain in one most of their day.

Don't forget, baby can also lay on the floor. Just lay a clean blanket down and baby proof the room.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM

I completely agree! AP to me isn't about never having a minute without physical contact but about responding to baby's needs. I've read many threads about mamas feeling guilty that baby hated being worn for example but loved the exersaucer/baby playmat/swing. I confess I used the baby swing a lot in the early days: we had nursing issues and I had to pump for weeks. If I didn't make use of the tools that baby enjoyed, I could never have established our breastfeeding relationship.
If you don't take care and time to heal your shoulder, it will limit what your baby will experience in the long run because mommy will be in pain and not able to do as much. If baby is unhappy, you will respond with love. That is true whether he is being worn or playing in an exersaucer smile.gif
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who replied. I can totally relate to the guilty feeling! your advice and kindness is really appreciated and makes me feel a lot better. I am at the stage now where I feel i can give her a little space on her own to do my shoulder exercises and also like you said when I need mommy time. Thanks again everyone fo your time. This is such a great community and has been a real 'friend' for me the ast few months.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

They have their place. Sometimes you can find a model that has fewer flashing lights and less loud gizmos and that would be more recommendation. We go natural almost every other day but frankly there are no natural exersaucers.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I don't object to them in theory but most of them do seem to have the same narrow "crotch dangler" seat that I try to avoid in carriers. I also have some concerns about devices which force sitting or standing prematurely.

Both my girls have liked the little play gym we have. It is a mat with two arches over it which have toys dangling from them. You can swap the toys with any you have which have hanging rings or loops.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

That is a good point about focing things prematurely. A friend lent us a jolly jumper but I think that kind of does the same thing. Is the narrow crotch dangler seat avoidd bc its uncomfortable for them? Is the playmat something you put together or bought? Thank you smile.gif
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

It is a tool, like any other, that can be used wisely, or abused.  There is nothing inherently evil about an exersaucer.  There is also nothing wrong with needing to have a break physically or emotionally from constant contact, injury or not.  There is no "checklist" for being an attached, attentive parent...and using tools available to help you out when you need it, within the overall scheme of an attached, engaged parent-child relationship is NOT going to damage your child, or your bond with your child, in any way.  Wheter you buy a new gopod, or find a used exersaucer and take the toys off of it (or leave them on!), or find some other thing to keep your kiddo safe and happy while giving your shoulder time to heal, as it rightfully should, you and your child will be fine because you are an engaged parent.  

There are absolutely people who have objections to any sort of "baby contraption"....but I learned early on in my parenting career that rigid thought patterns soon led to a miserable/spread thin/burnt out me, which led me to be way less attached and attentive than just doing whatever minor thing I was questioning.  Sometimes we have to give on our ideals and live the life we currently have with the children we have, and not worry whether what we're doing is "AP enough", so long as we're still overall engaged and connected with our kids.    

This is such wise advice.

We have a big obnoxious exersaucer that has toys all over the blasted thing. smile.gif My DS loved that thing for several months. He loved being upright so he could watch his crazy sisters and their antics. It was also nice because I could put him in it and keep it near me while I cooked or did something where wearing him was not easy or safe. He likes to be close to me and see what I'm up to, and laying on the floor didn't allow for that. He is a really active little guy too and adored that he could jump and spin around in it before he was able to do that on his own. He bounces and bounces and gets giggling so hard. I don't worry about the crotch dangle factor because his feet easily reach the ground and he pushes himself up and isn't really just dangling there.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deailedlace View Post

That is a good point about focing things prematurely. A friend lent us a jolly jumper but I think that kind of does the same thing. Is the narrow crotch dangler seat avoidd bc its uncomfortable for them? Is the playmat something you put together or bought? Thank you smile.gif

The narrow seat is a potential concern for hip development although less an issue after 6 months apparently http://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/

We bought our play mat, although it probably wouldn't be too hard to make one. We have this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FFL58Q/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?camp=217145&creative=399377&creativeASIN=B000FFL58Q&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tf_tl&tag=secrettopics.com-20 but there are lots of different ones. It does have music and lights but not obnoxious. You can choose low volume and the sound choices are quite realistic forest sounds or nursery rhymes (no lyrics). We happen to have some flat floor cushions the same size as the mat so I put it on one of those for extra padding. Before we had the cushions I folded up a blanket to put under it. I've also swapped the toys around a bit. Now DD2 has found her feet she often prefers to play with those though :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 AM

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been thinking about an excersaucer* lately. They all do seen to have so much going on. We don't have any toys that flash lights yet and we do have a play mat. We bought the skip hop play mat. All nice colors and uses bells, crinkles, mirrors, and squeakers. It does have one toy that makes a natural bird chirping noise too. My baby loves it but lately she wants to stand or sit up all the time. She is almost 6 months and can sit up ok on her own but she will face plant every now and then. The gopod might be a good option for us but I read the one response about the baby who could bounce in theirs. She LOVES to bounce. I wear her a lot but I would to be able to cook more when in home alone with her.

I don't feel guilty about putting her in the play mat because I'm close to her, still talking to her and she can try out her new moves.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hi otepbunni! Let me know what one you purchase. My lo like yours wants to stand sit all the time so I think shes ready. I do worry about her being able to bounce in the gopod though!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 AM

We just bought a go-pod for our 4.5 mo. old and I'm considering returning it. My dd is petite at 13 lbs/ 24in and it is way too big for her. We tried "packing" her in with blankets but she still looked so unstable--she couldn't really play because she was just holding on for dear life. Also, I purchased this because of the wider span between the leg holes, but since there isn't any padding, it cuts into her legs pretty badly. She might just be too small for it. I love the concept and thought my dd would just eat it up because she loves to be upright otherwise, but it's just not working as I intended. Hope this helps!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 PM

We have one that gets used here and there. I got it for $25 on Craigslist (baby Einstein brand). From maybe 4ish months on she would go in it for maybe 15-20 minutes while I got some dishes or whatever done. Now at 6.5 months she doesn't have much interest at all and would rather crawl around smile.gif

Anyway, though, everything in moderation. They're not a necessity but they are nice and can be found cheap enough used.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 PM

I think they serve a good purpose. Overuse of anything isn't good obviously!  This one has been a life saver for me when I've needed to keep baby near but I really didn't want to wear him/her (usually when I'm cooking...just can't do that very well, especially in the grabby baby stage which is a great stage for the exersaucer!).  Ours was a hand me down and is getting sorta ratty, so I'm giving it away to our church rummage sale and wanting to find a gently used one on craigslist.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Dd has become a standing monster! My mom bought one secondhand in great condition as well as a highchair and is bringing it to us next weekend. I can't wait. I think sh is going to like standing and being able to watch me cook. She cant face outward in the ergo and I've been trying to give my shoulder (and back!) a rest but she loves to watch me cook!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We have a pretty low key version from Baby Enistein/Graco circa five years ago and it is much less annoying than some. I have a couple of stations around the house that are "safe" for the baby and that is one. I wear the baby a ton when we are out of the house but not as much in the house.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all
Just an update. My mom bought me a secone hand baby einstein saucer at a yardsale and a new highchair. My dd loves them both. We tried a jollyjumper but her thighs are actually so chubby that it chafes lol but the saucer is nice fo her to bounce aoune on her feet and im glad we didnt buy it new. The best part is that it has clips for your own toys and not overwhelming with gadgts...some are missing which I like. So far she just enjoys being it in standing thinking shes a pretty big girl and not really the toys anyway

Tags
Baby
User Tag List