Flying with a 1 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 4 kids and have never flown with any of them- Until now. In June My husband and I are flying ti Hawaii to visit my sis- and taking our 1 yo with us. I have no idea what exactly that entails- I'm doing internet research at the moment, lol- as far as regulations regarding bringing an infant on flights (identification? how do I register him for the flight or don't I- at ticket reservations I'm not finding a spot to specify an infant). 

I didn't think much of it until now as the date is creeping up- how to keep the busy guy contained and entertained on my lap for a long flight... Perhaps he will nap some, and nurse, but I would appreciate any input on how to make it more enjoyable for everyone ;)

#2 of 18 Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is usually a box you check for a "lap child"
If not, if you book online, you then need to call the airlaine and tell them you have a lap child. You child will need a ticket even if you don't buy a seat.
Each plane has rules for where lap kids can sit due to the oxygen masks. Not all rows/seat have an extra one. Knowing you have a lap child, they will put you in the correct spot.

Best of luck on the flight. My dd was almost 2. Flight was really hard on me. I bought dd a seat, but she only wanted to sit on my lap. Flight going was tolerable. Coming back was awful. It was a red eye and dd didn't sleep well. Dd Would wake up every hour and cry.

I never want to do a family trip at far again. I'm in the midwest and there has to be just as nice beaches closer.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 18 Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Is he walking? I find non-walking babies, or even just-walking babies who like to be held all the time, easier to travel with than toddlers or young children who don't like to sit in a chair and want to climb all over hte place or kick someone's seat.
#4 of 18 Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Each airline has different policies. We just flew with ds who is 9 months. We did not have to fill out anything for him when buying tickets online. We brought his birth certificate to verify age and they printed out a boarding pass at the airport even though he didn't have a seat. Check your airline website or give them a call for their specific policies.
As for the flight itself I recommend lots of snacks. That was the only thing that kept ds happy.
Good luck!
#5 of 18 Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM

We are going to be flying from Oregon to Florida next month with our baby who will be 9 months by then, and I'm kinda worried too. She is a good baby and loves to nurse, so hopefully it won't be too hard, but sometimes she needs to be walked around and stuff, and I just don't see that working out well. :-P
My husband booked the flights, so I'm not sure how he specified everything, but, yeah, she will be on our laps, and we're supposed to bring her birth certificate as proof of age, etc, when we board.

#6 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 AM

Bring lots and lots of snacks. And two cups with lids, not the camel back brand b/c the straws pressurize and will shoot liquid out for the entire flight :-) That actually all I pack for kids now, it's too hard to keep track of toys IMO! Along with diapers and changes of clothes of course.

Usually you can walk around if you need to, and bigger bathrooms are a nice place to play if you can get over the ick factor. We spent a few hours in the big one playing with the facet on an overnight flight once. In reality, the entire plane is a cess pool of germs--the bathroom may actually be the cleanest spot to hang out in.

#7 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Oh these flights are always the interesting ones. From my experience, flying is just not one of their burning desires as you might expect. I would bring lots of baby snacks, and make sure to come with dual bottles (or maybe more seeing that you are going to Hawaii), also a comfy blanket for them, and that is about all I can think of right now.

Flight with babies really isn't an enjoyable thing for anybody, and I don't think it will ever be. Although there are some ways to get through it and hopefully when the time comes, you will be prepared. Best of luck!

------------------------------------------

Rosie

Baby Clothes for Girls

#8 of 18 Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 PM

We're gearing up for a flight with DD (2.5) & DS (6 months) on Monday. DD had her own ticket, we'll have DS on our laps. Well bring birth certs. for both, though I think it's only required for the baby.

DD has flown 3 times(?), s had always done really well, thigh none of the flights have been more than 3 ish hours total. The first time was when she was about 7 mo. old. Nurse 'em up, nurse 'em down to help with change in ear pressure, and hope he sleeps at least part of the flight! Bring some quiet toys &/or books, and snacks are good too. Some sippy cups for water in case he wants something other than breast milk. Whatever helps distract him and doesn't drive you nuts.

Oh, and at the airport, you may want to rent the luggage cart, if you are bringing car seat, etc. It gets a bit unwieldy!

On a related note, anyone know the policy on going thru security with a baby in a wrap? Was thinking of using my Moby, which obviously has no metal, but didn't know if they'd want me to remove it, which would be a pain.

We'll see how flying with 2 is, but it doesn't automatically suck. give yourselves plenty of time so you're not stressed (if you stress over those kinds of things. I do; DH doesn't and just kind of laughs at me.) And try to see it as having an adventure! Good luck!
#9 of 18 Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Please excuse the typos above. Posting from my phone is always an interesting thing, and I hit send too soon!
#10 of 18 Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 PM

You are allowed to wear your baby through security with out taking him out of the carrier. I've done this many times.They'll send you through the metal detector instead of the new x-ray body scanners, then they call over a TSA agent who will rub the palms of your hands with a wand or wipe & run a quick test on the wipe/wand. I beleive they are checking to see if there is any explosive residue on your hand in case your a suicide bomber :-(
#11 of 18 Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 AM

In 9 years and 3 kids on many many flights both domestic and overseas, I have NEVER been allowed to keep a baby in a wrap or carrier through security. Ive always had to take it off and put it through the X-ray scanner. They often don't let you keep them in it on the plane, either greensad.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#12 of 18 Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! My baby loves to be held, but I expect him to start walking in the next two months and have a feeling he'll be all about it by the time we leave. Thanks for the input about the pressure and camel back sippy cups! Also, i can't remember, what's the rule about carry on beverages? Can I bring cups with drinks in them, or do I need to have sealed containers? how big of containers? Not sure how all of that works... The best advice I got here and elsewhere was the comments on carseats- Oh my goodness that wasn't even on my checklist to bring a carseat (not carry on, just with the luggage). We would have gotten there and had to hunt down a carseat! shy.gif

ALSO, any recommendations for babys and the Hawaiian sun? Fave products (baby sunscreen, clothing, hats, etc...) Going to try to get a ergo stowaway before the trip, and has anyone tried out the Leggie leggings that are for the sun?

#13 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 AM

You can bring any size empty container. You can bring breast milk in quantities over 3 ounces. Any other liquid has to be 3 oz or less. We usually bring empty water bottles and cups then fill them up once we are through security. Also flight attendants will probably be more than happy to give you drinks once on board.
#14 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 AM

Oh and even if you are planning to check your car seat and not take it on board bring it with you to the gate and check it there. It's less likely to get damaged that way.
#15 of 18 Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I am bumping this because my trip is less than a month away! Thank you all again for the advice- I have one more question: What do you do on an overnight flight? How do you get some shut-eye, or don't you (I'm not very good at sleeping as a passenger in cars/ buses/ trains/ planes)... Is there any special trick to safely snoozing with a sleeping baby on your lap? It seems complicated to me! :)

#16 of 18 Old 05-22-2013, 02:26 PM

The red eye on the way back was the worst part for me. My dd had a seat with her carseat, but could sleep well. (Sleeps great in it for car trips) I had her resting on my body for most of the trip. Just awful. She would barely be awake, but still cry. The plane was full with a marching bad group, so my kid was the only noisy person.

Check out "one step ahead". For sunsuits. My kids wear them each summer, but especially for the Hawaiian sun. Be sure to go up a size as they run small. A too small body suit is no fun for anyone!
JennaRose likes this.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#17 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

thank you chel! I wil definitely check those out... yeah I am a little wary of the red eyes but that seems to be all they offer for the flight back (uh yeah did i mention we don't have tickets yet? they are a wedding gift from my parents, and my dad is sure of getting a 'deal'- which he passed up numerous times, and now they are back up in price so we are probably going to have to settle for spendy tickets. :( ) I think my DS will be fine sleeping, I just figure I'm not going to sleep lol... I just wondered if there is a babywearing trick etc for planes, or if that isn't a good idea/ allowed. DH will be with me but no carseat on plane.

#18 of 18 Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM

I am a flight attendant, and a mom. Not sure if you went on your trip yet or not, but I have a few tips. MOST babies and kids do best IN their cars eat on a plane. You have to buy them a ticket, and the seat goes in the window for safety reasons. They usually sleep the whole flight! (if the flight is empty, you can sometimes very nicely ask at the gate if they can accommodate your carseat without having purchased a ticket, but that is hit or miss and flights these days tend to be full! Smaller infants who just sleep anyway do well usually, but there are regulations about baby carriers on planes, ie seatbelt on, carrier off. Also it seems to me, that holding any baby or child for extended amounts of time in a close space will be hot and uncomfortable for all involved. Not to mention if you want to sleep. I totally understand the expense factor of buying a ticket for under two year olds, but this is my recommendation based on a LOT of experience, watching parents struggle for hours on end with older lap children. IMO, flights should be as comfortable as possible for all. Hope you appreciate my honest tip.

Tags
Baby , Travel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page