Cereal before 6 months??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A pediatrician we recently had to visit wasn't very happy that I haven't started cereal with my 5 month old DD. I am ecologically breastfeeding and planning to start solids not till at least 6 months and only when she is ready to start it (which I think she will be). I haven't yet looked into which foods, etc to start with yet but am assuming veggies, fruits, etc. The ped told me she should be on cereal now because breastfeed babies will have low iron. She stated the Canadian Pediatrics association and other recommend this. I'm worried about giving her something so processed and potentially full of chemicals. Is cereal usually given at this age by other natural mama's out there? If not what is a good source of iron she can eat? My midwife had told me Baby can be exclusively breastfeed for up to a year and a vitamin d drops for here in Canada. She never mentioned iron difficiencies. Is the pediatrician just pushing this or is there evidence breathed babies really do need extra iron? She also chastised me about not vaccinating yet, but that's another story. She made me feel like a guilt mother who's not taking care of my baby. I was so angry when I left!
#2 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like you know what is best for your child. My DS was almost exclusively breastfed for his first year and DD is now 8 months and although she's had a "taste" of some foods (sweet potatoes, bananas, etc.), she is exclusively breast fed. I say "taste" because she also tastes Lego, books and anything she can get her hands on, but I'm sure she's not ingesting anything, including the actual food. It seems your doctor is not a good fit for your family.
#3 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

No need for solids before 6 months and still no need for rice at that point. We don't really do grains at all before a year. Baby's don't really digest them at this age.

#4 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

You're on the right track, mama!  Keep up the good work.  :)

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, don't need to start solids before 6 months and even then you can wait until they are ready. BF babies can have low iron, but I wouldn't give baby cereal for it as the iron in that is very poorly absorbed. Meat if you are ok with that is a great source and there are other sources too. Make sure you are keeping your iron up as the iron amounts in breastmilk while small are really well absorbed. My pediatrician said iron isn't typically a concern until 6 months or longer, especially if Mom's iron was good during pregnancy & breastfeeding.

Now if you baby is showing signs of low iron, it would be worth getting the babe tested, but it sounds like this is just a general recommendation from your pediatrician.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#6 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am really surprised to hear about the Candian rec. The American Academy of Pediatrics backed off the cereal recommendation twenty years ago. Solids are recommended after six months and unless you have a dinosaur they suggest real foods. BF are routinely recommended to take an iron supplement but I don't because the research that supports it is lame. (see kellymom.com) I do take an iron supplement personally and if my baby was shown to have low iron via a blood prick we would provide supplementation.

Besides, cereal is a lousy source for iron. Heme iron, like that in bm or meat, is much more easily absorbed. Many authorities now recommend the earlier introduction of heme sources.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page