Question re: infant advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had NO idea where to post this, so I hope this is okay.

A few months ago, I did my re-certification for CPR and First Aid - with a different instructor than I had the first time. The woman we had instructing us is a very ... "home-grown" woman. (I don't know how to explain it to people who aren't from our area! We have a very high rate of people believing old wives tales and other weird things... I had a highschool science teacher try to convince us that writing on our hands with pen could be poisonous because the ink would soak into our bloodstream. WTF?)

ANYWAY - this paramedic-and-first-aid-instructor told us to never tickle a baby's feet, because it will overstimulate them (or something) and KILL them.

Has anyone else ever heard this!? I actually LAUGHED because it sounds so RIDICULOUS, but she was all  "NO! I'm serious! It happens!"

I haven't had the chance to actually ask a medical professional about it, and my late-night brain just remembered it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
That's a new one! Everyone tickles baby feet; if that were true the world population would be drastically reduced. wink1.gif
I'll have to ask this lady I work with just for kicks...she told me to NEVER climb stairs pregnant because my uterus WOULD rupture. And she had 7 kids. Those must have been loooong pregnancies sleeping on the sofa!
#3 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Ha! I just Googled this, and some people apparently think it will cause your baby to develop a stutter, or delay them walking. Other people say it will cause "fits" (I think they mean seizures from context) because babies can't laugh when you tickle them. One person even claimed it would cause epilepsy! She had a very psuedo-scientific sounding answer, but I can't find anything from any reputable source supporting that.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#4 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

It was just so completely ridiculous that I *had* to ask - she sounded so convinced! Good to know that my Google skills aren't betraying me here, haha. 
Oh the things people will say and believe...

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM

I did learn in my hypnobirthing class to not use light touch massage on infants, as their CNS isn't fully developed or something.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page