How much floor space for playing/development? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a "sort of" silly dilemma. But I keep going back and forth, so I'd like to hear opinions. Maybe something someone will say will help sway me! I realize there are greater problems in life and the world, but still.....I am pregnant and nesting...and agonizing!

We are trying to decide what side the chaise should be on, for the couch-with-attached-chaise for this room in our new rental house. And nope, it won't "flip" later on. And we are definitely getting this model, because it's good for my bad back. This room will be our "no TV" living area, where we spend most of our time.

The first configuration, I like, and it makes me happy to look over the view, especially at the end of the day when hubby and I are trying to have quality time without the TV. But it chops up the room, so I think "oh no...the baby won't have as much playing space." Granted I am pregnant with my first, so I just really don't know how much space the baby/kid will need! When I put his stuff on the floor, his area just looks kinda "boxed in."

The other configuration makes the room feel more open,.....but it drives me NUTS (we have a couch there now in this configuration)....because when hubby and I sit on the chaise together how we like to sit, we face basically the opposite of the view, towards a wall, and I'm always just left mad I'm looking at a wall and not the view. Granted, we also have more floorspace we are looking out over, because the chaise is kinda backed up against the window....so when on the chaise, you see much more floorspace....before your vision gets to the wall.

I just don't know how to prioritze this.  For the way I like it...in the area the baby would spend his tummy time, etc, he'll be boxed in on 3 sides by the couch, the chaise, and a wall....and once I put a blanket and his floor gym in that space, it feels kinda tight to me. They do fit, but it doesn't feel like an adult could just get down there with him, only really from one side. I just wonder if later on, I would regret getting a couch that boxed the baby in like that? It isn't terrible.....he would still be able to crawl in one direction....but it is just not the open feel I envisioned for an active little one.

So I just wanted you all's opinions on what you would prioritize. It is hard to know how much space the baby/eventual kiddo will need/want. Thank you!!!! Again, I know this question is kind of silly, that I'm spending so much time deciding, so please no criticism...only please chime in if you have an actual opinion on whether Mom and Dad having the view vs baby having floorspace is more important. (and if we do the floorspace, the baby playing is what we would be looking at, so yes that can be kinda cute....but if the baby is just chilling, maybe it would be really boring?)

#2 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I spent a LOT of time sitting/reclining on the couch feeding in the early days. Looking out over a view would be better than looking at a wall in that time. Tough learning to recline and feed hands free so I could read a book was great thumb.gif

It's nice to have space to get down on the floor and change the baby  (we used to keep a changing mat under the couch and slide it out when needed) or play with them but I think so long as you can do that then you will be fine. It sounds like they will have plenty of space to cruse round holding onto the couch when they get to that stage and it doesn't take long.

The other reason I prefer not to have furniture in front of the window is so they can't climb up and get to the window. The way ours open I'd worry about them climbing the furniture and falling through the open window, I'd certainly expect them to post toys out through the window. My kids seem to have a habit of posting things through any gap they find!

#3 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 AM

My thought is do what makes you happy and baby will adapt/adjust just fine. Once you have an avid crawler, being a bit boxed in isn't a terrible thing, it may let you run to the bathroom with a little added containment.
#4 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mom and dad being happy with the arrangement is the most important. The baby won't care how much floorspace there is, and when he/she is at the furniture-cruising stage, will probably like it the way you like it.
#5 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I vote to do the way you like. Babies/toddler don't mind the space issue.

I do think you need to be aware of clutter issues or you will grow to hate it. Maybe skip the floor gym

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I say don't stress with that. Although you can put your baby on the floor starting day 1, he won't be rolling/crawling until pretty much 6 months, so you can do it your way until then. DS is 7 months and we only switched the coffee table with the one from the "other" living room because it's sturdier, and got rid of the corner table because it became useless and a hazard for him (he would kick it). You'll know when you'll need to change things around, and it will mainly have to do with safety, I think.

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#7 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That helps and makes a lot of sense. :) I think everyone will be happier with the chaise facing the view. So that is what I am really leaning towards, just have to get over the instinct to want to revolve everything around the baby, my worries about the baby, etc.

Is there anything wrong, developmentally, if the baby is placed in an area where he wouldn't be able to look as far in multiple directions (at, say, 7 months)? Like is it bad for learning/curiousity, in your opinion? (I know I am probably worrying too much!)  I know that when he's very tiny, he can't see much anyways so it won't matter, but wondering about later. I worry that with the idea of "boxing him in," he would just stare at the wall and not learn to explore or "see the world." I know it sounds silly, but of course learning takes place in the simplest of ways. So it just kinda goes against my instinct to box him in, but then again, I don't know much about babies at all!

However, he would have the one open side of the "box" to then explore, and crawl outward. Something tells me babies somehow find a way to explore, even if their blanket isn't set out in an area where they can crawl out in all directions? Or is it our job to kind of facilitate that more, and he won't be as actively looking if he's boxed in?

Those are my fears. Just hoping someone who actually has a child can put them to rest! Thanks for being patient with me!!!!

#8 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Babies look at faces a LOT, look at furniture, whatever is nearby. My DD was thoroughly fascinated by the ceiling fan. I think as long as you don't have an empty, thoroughly featureless room (think insane asylum with padded walls lol), baby will have lots to look at. As baby gets older, a couple of colourful toys or safe household items will be plenty. Older still and baby will be cruising upright or crawling everywhere. Really, as long as you interact with and respond to baby, a little while looking at the side of a couch certainly won't be developmentally detrimental.
#9 of 9 Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Makes sense. smile.gif I guess that is why my mom always says "with some babies, they are happy as long as they can see you, wherever they are."

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page