Anyone drink beer to increase their milk supply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-23-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read this recently and was wondering if it works and if it's ok??
#2 of 8 Old 04-23-2004, 07:39 PM

this is done all over Europe but it may be a old wives tale bit I had a few Killians Red anyway.
Here's a few links:

beer & b/m 1

beer & b/m 2

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#3 of 8 Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 PM

It does seem to increase the supply of "milk" although it is very watery and thin... so i don't know if it is as nourishing...
#4 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 11:32 AM

I think it makes a difference what kind of beer you drink. Dark beer actually has some nutritional value (Dh used to be a brewer and was up on all that info), something like Guinness. I don't think a pabst blue ribbon or a coors is going to do you much good. When Dd was a baby and I was having supply problems I would drink a Guinness and it seemed to help, and at the very least it helped me relax a bit when I tried to get her to latch on to my realy sore nipples.
#5 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 AM

My lactation consultant told me to drink non-alcoholic O'Douls when my milk was slow to come in after birth. It seemed to help. But since then I've linked a gas problem in my baby with the carbonation in the beer. Last week I drank a coke and a beer in a short amount of time and really paid for it when my baby screamed in pain for hours because of the gas rumbling thru his little body. So no beer for me! An occasional small glass of wine, however, is sometimes in order . . .

kelly
#6 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 11:42 AM

uhhhh . . . yeah . . . THAT'S why I drink beer!!!

Actually, the LLL answer to a million questions book (can't remember the actual title) says that beer really does increase supply. However, it says that non-alcoholic beer works just as well!!

When I first had DS I drank non-alcoholic beer some to get my supply up, but I'll have a regular beer on occassion - with or without supply issues. I am a little worried about my supply lately, but I've ordered some fenugreek to start taking to help with that.
#7 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 12:51 PM

The hops and yeast in beer are what help increase your supply.

The alcohol will actually help a mom who is having trouble with letdown. It does thin the milk out a tad, just as it would thin out your blood and it helps you to relax to allow for letdown.

So, you could just buy hops and yeast and take those to get a similar effect on increasing your milk supply, which is why non-alcoholic beer will work. However, if you are drinking the beer to help with letdown, then you do need the alcohol, but any alcohol will do, including wine.
#8 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 01:16 PM

gee, i wouldn't drink that chemical-loaden american stuff, sorry, no offense. i come from beer-country, we have laws about what's allowed to into our beer, and yes, it does increase milk supply. at least, that's what "they" tell ya.
so even if it's unsure and not proven, i like my german beer, bf'ing or not, in moderation. it's got vitamins....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page