All my 5.5 month old does is fuss, whine, and cry? Help!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is five a half months old... she'll be 6 months on the 19th. Ever since she was a newborn, she has been the fussiest, crankiest, most MISERABLE baby I've ever known... greensad.gif She was born emergency c-section so not sure if that has affected her.... When she was only a few days, she'd constantly cry, no matter what. The only time she wouldn't cry was at the breast,but she'd start crying soon after that too. She'd always vomit and scream and she'd bring her legs close to her chest and act like she was in pain. So they thought she had a milk protein intolerance.... I started to pump and dump until my system was free of dairy and soy (I gave her Similac Alimentum while I wasn't nursing) and that didn't make any difference.

She has never stopped being a miserable baby. She's had ultrasounds of her tummy done, bloodwork, physical exams... they can't find anything wrong with her. Most of the day she fusses and whines, she can't keep herself happy, she won't play alone for more than a few minutes without screaming.... it's getting to the point where I want to rip my hair out! I'm at my wits end.... I just want her to be happy! But she's not! She literally cries over EVERYTHING! When I feed her, play with her, put her in the highchair, lay her on the floor, put her in the jumper, carry her, stick her in the car seat, take her for a drive, bring her shopping... anything at all! She fusses or whines at LEAST once. She's a good sleeper, so I can't knock her that. But she is just soooooooooooo miserable. My husband and I get on each others nerves so much more frequently lately because she is constantly fussy and it's driving us crazy. We thought there'd be a light at the end of the tunnel by the time she was 12 weeks but there hasn't been! She's just as miserable, if not more, than she was when she was born.

Any advice? Has anyone else experienced this? I love my daughter so much but I can't stand the constant fussing and crying....  I really want her to just be a happy little girl!!! Thank you so much for anyone who can help me! 

joy.gifProud to be a stay at home mommy to: Averee Morgan DOB 11/19/12energy.gif

stork-girl.gifExpecting baby #2 12/18/13belly.gif

nak.gifWe breastfeed and baby wear femalesling.GIF

#2 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM

I feel like my son was like this. Then he rolled over crawled and all of that stuff He seemed to be infinitly irritated with the fact that he could not do things. Do you let her stand holding her arms a lot? Does she like it? There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It so rough being a baby and having one. Hugs to you mama.

#3 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, she loves to stand while I am holding her arms. Only problem is when I stop she gets so irritated. She can roll perfectly and can slither to get to place to place, but she still is so miserable :( It breaks my heart, I don't get why! Thank you for your kind words!!!

joy.gifProud to be a stay at home mommy to: Averee Morgan DOB 11/19/12energy.gif

stork-girl.gifExpecting baby #2 12/18/13belly.gif

nak.gifWe breastfeed and baby wear femalesling.GIF

#4 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Mine was the EXACT same way. Only happy when he was standing. It was my partner that made the point that he was just frustrated. he wanted to do the stuff we do. We would just let him stand all day for the sake of our sanity. Do you have a play mat? Mine was never a toy baby. Also lay down and let her kind of stand up on you. Also this might seem weird but if she can sit up supported bath time was a huge life saver for us. There were many times where I just took a bath with him let him play like 3 times a day because it was what worked. I know she seems so fussy but I bet my left hand in the next couple months her fussyness will calm down. Its hard having a high needs baby. But I get coments all of the time about how well mannered and just charming my son is. THey turn into the most amazing, interesting, loving quirky little people. Good luck! I know its hard. <3

Oh yeah a paper shopping bag. We used to hold his hands and put him in one to stand and his wiggles would crinkle the paper he loved that. Also counting. I used to count to him.

avereemorgan12 likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 01:01 PM

My daughter is about 5.5 mo. old too, and also a MAJOR crab.  I love her to pieces, but I'm exhausted.  She has cried so much since birth.  She is my 4th, and my other three kids were all "high needs", but she is WAY harder.  She HATES the car, screams instantly, and the whole time if we go anywhere (refuses to let me nurse her in her seat), will only nurse to sleep at home in my rocking chair, will only nurse/sleep in my arms 24/7, and is STILL fussy!!  She wants constant stimulation, and bores quickly of anything we try.  She co-sleeps (has to pretty much be attached all night to sleep at all) and stirs to actively nurse at least every 45 minutes all night long (and all day for that matter).  It is a full time job to deal with her when she's awake, and we're still not successful with her a lot of the time.  We've tried every distraction you can think of too, and I can't leave the house basically.  Every little thing sets her off, if I move my arm when she's sleeping or set her down to pick up a toy, or or or...  She will ride in a wrap sometimes, but not for long because she hates constriction.  What a turkey!!

So, yes, I can commiserate with you.  :)  Mine is also is fussy at the breast too, so nothing really seems to comfort her.  I've tried EVERYTHING, chiropractic, chranial sacro, elimination diets, and I'm still working with our homeopath to try to help her.  I am so exhausted, worn out, frustrated, sad for her, angry some days, but mostly tired.  :)

I hope it gets better for both of us!  My girl also likes to stand, take a shower with me, vacuum with me (needs loud sounds), and be sung directly too.  She's happ"ier" when touching something new, trees outside, the brick of the house, pulling grass etc.  

:)

#6 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Have you read all the personal stories on The Fussy Baby Site?  It really helped me.  They will even set you up with a "fussy baby pen pal" - another parent of a really difficult baby!  :)  

My son was a lot like what you are describing, and now at 20 months he's a handful (and very opinionated) but a lot of fun. But that first year was REALLY hard.  I sometimes had to wear earplugs in my own house just to take the edge off the screaming - and there was nothing medically wrong.  He was just fussy, and nothing helped.

It WILL get better.  Hang in there!!

#7 of 7 Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Google Wonder Weeks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page