Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life With a Baby (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/)
-   -   shorty naps for 11mos old unless held/nursed (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/1383213-shorty-naps-11mos-old-unless-held-nursed.html)

edensmom 05-10-2013 09:43 PM

I think I just need some encouragement or advice for nap time. My 11mos old goes down fine with a nurse for her afternoon nap but then only stay asleep by herself for 40 min then she cries and I get her and she nurses/sleeps in arms for the remainder (total 1.5 to 2hrs, which she seems to need, she certainly isn't ready to be awake after 40 mins) Her morning nap is an hour long walk in the pack, which is fine, good for me and dogs.

I'm not sure of a strategy to help her stay asleep, she's never used a paci. We co sleep, so she just naps in our bed. I use the time to read, but it just seems like she should be able to stay asleep longer since she can for a while at the start. Does the No Cry Sleep Solution deal with "early risers"? Is it because I nurse her to sleep and should try something else? The only thing I can think of is to use the pack again, but it's more tiring than nursing really. For me.

Does this seem likely to change as she eventually drops her morning nap? I think I'm just getting jealous of moms who get two hours of "off-time" I haven't had that since she was 1mo old!

THANKS!

skycheattraffic 05-11-2013 06:18 PM

Around that age my DD dropped naps completely!!! Omg I was ready to run away screaming or jump out a window! What helped her nap at all was white noise (we use a fan) and blackout drapes for the room. If you're not using these, they might help. They help DD stay asleep longer and made a big difference to us. Good luck!

Asiago 05-13-2013 11:52 AM

It seems as though she is just waking between sleep cycles....which is very normal. If you are unable to nap with her perhaps try being preemptive and lie down and nurse her before she stirs and the sleep cycle ends.....she may go right into another one. Then repeat at the next sleep cycle.
It sounds as though she is wide awake by the time she gets nursed down again so going to her at 30-35 minutes may enable her to peacefully go into the next cycle.

edensmom 07-17-2013 06:15 PM

thank you! That makes a lot of sense

Asiago 07-18-2013 06:11 AM

You are welcome and best wishes.

Ola_ 07-19-2013 07:33 PM

Yup, my DD did the same thing. When she was tiny she'd only sleep in 20 minute increments, then 45 minute ones. It's not because of nursing, so don't worry about that (DD was bottle fed and we had the same problem). Basically what I would do is either lay down with her for her nap if I wanted to sleep and then she'd either need a little soothing when she woke or I'd get up and sit in the rocking chair with her. Or it I wanted to get something done I knew I'd have to do it in that first 45 minutes. When she woke after that first sleep cycle I'd quickly go pick her up and rock her back to sleep again. At first I had to keep holding her so she'd sleep for the next 45 minutes but over time I was able to put her down in her crib for the rest of her nap. After a while she seemed to figure out that she could just keep sleeping and now her naps typically last two cycles (i.e. an hour and a half). Sometimes she'll nap longer but that is usually only if she's unusually tired (she's 28 months now and only naps once a day since about 18 months).

annhari 07-22-2013 10:55 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. My kid's 1, and he'll sleep for 45 minutes on his own, or 2 hours if I lay in bed next to him and give him a boob when he stirs. She's just waking between sleep cycles and needs help resettling. 

I do get 2 hours of "off time" - it's just broken into parts, or is totally in bed off time. I know I've got at least 30 minutes after he's asleep to do whatever, then I go back into the bedroom and wait for him to stir. I use the bedroom time to get anything done online I need to do, read, or quietly fold laundry or whatever. After I nurse him back to sleep, I've got another while to do whatever.