Baby is only happy on breast 24/7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Dia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More experienced mamas,
My son is a little over 2 months old and he's really only happy on my breast, or passed out sleeping on my breast, day and night. Of course I want to give him all the love and cuddles in the world but this becomes pretty stressful too, leaving the house is tough, and I am the only one he seems to want. Is this a phase, is it normal, any suggestions to gently help him be more comfortable being comforted by his dad too?

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM

A phase mine did the same thing around then for a while. He will grow out of it.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM

Even my easiest baby is only willing to be away from the boob for about fifteen minutes per hour, and that's on a good day.  This is my third child and I think my attitude is a lot more mellow now than it was for my first two.  This too shall pass more quickly than you think.  I'm not saying to "zomg cherish every moment!!!1!!" but it will pass, in worst case scenario in a few months.

If you're able, maybe after a good nursing session you can wear the baby on your back (if you have someone to spot you while you put her on, that'd help immensely!!).  Being next to the boobie makes them want to nurse more, but if they're on the back, sometimes they're content enough to be near/on mama.  And I find it a lot more convenient to get things done around the house, and it's less of a strain on the back when they're backpack style than as a lump on the front of you...  Some magical mamas also figure out how to nurse on the go and hands-free with baby in a wrap or something, but my breasts aren't shaped conveniently for that so I never could.

Right now my LO is nursing and I'm using BOTH hands to type on a laptop (we're lying in bed, she's half asleep).  It's a totally convenient excuse to go on MDC or watch a movie quietly.  ;)

Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Also, my husband was totally unable to calm our first child (neither could I, really - very high needs kiddo, still is) but he was fantastic with our middle child.  She preferred him to me, I think, I was just the milk machine.  This one is super cuddly with me and only me, and it totally hurts DH's feelings that she's not as snuggly with him as our other daughter was.  It's nothing personal, really, your husband will have a perfectly fine relationship with your babes as he grows older.  Some babies just want mommy, and no one else will do.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This all sounds very healthy and normal.
Any chance you could utilize a baby carrier/sling? It helps immensely.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 AM

Sounds normal.  It was hard to leave the house.  I just got used to the fact every single time we left the house I would have to BF.  It gets better.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 AM

Totally normal. It is a phase and try enjoy that your lo is falling asleep on the breast bc for some babies during their mental leaps (like my dd) that changes lol. Like already mentioned try a sling, that way you can feed and be hands free and still close to bebe. I got really good doing daily tasks with one arm /hand during this phase. I swear I mastered doing almost everything while breastfeeding! Eating, cooking, bathroom, laundry you name it lol. Mind you she always had crumbs in her hair from each meal. I know it can be overwhelming. The positive side to this is that it sounds like your lo is thriving and along with that it doesn't sound like you're having any issues with bf which is great. Also your bebe is very comfortable nursing that fall asleep into milky dreams in your arms smile.gif what could be more lovely. Just try to embrace what a wonderful job youre doing and as mentioned it does get easier smile.gif

User Tag List