3 wk old- hardly ever poops but lots of wet dipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm having growing concerns about my 3 wk old dd. Maybe I'm reading too much on the Internet about bowel problems in newborns but would really appreciate input.
DD passed meconium normally then didn't poop for 5 days. She was nursing well enough making lots of good wet dipes I brought her in to the the LC who said she is getting enough milk so then went to the doc who stimulated her rectum. She then pooped a ton that day and the next day. Since then she has pooped a very small amount on avg about every 3 days and had one giant poop one day. We are in another long stretch without any poop so I did the rectal stimulation again but nothing happened.
I made an appt to take her back to the doc. Does it sound like it could be Hirschsprung disease or some thing else? I know older breastfeeding babies often go days between poops but not babies so young. My DS had a zillion poops a day when he was Dd's age.
Anyone had a similar experience? I'm trying not to freak out and obsess about the possibility of serious bowel problems... But I tend towards anxiety so not doing well. greensad.gif

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#3 of 11 Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go to your appt. I'm not one of those people that will tell you everything is cool bc I don't know your baby and I'm not a doctor. Wet diapers are a great indicator that your baby is doing well. For me, I would like to hear It's all good from the doctor. I hope your appointment will give you some answers and anxiety relief. Good luck!
#4 of 11 Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM

I think it's hasty to jump to a disease being the cause.

Did you take her back in yet?  After my research with my daughter, I came away believing that infrequent poops in a newborn are abnormal and a sign something is going on. A gut issue is often the culprit, and it's hard to identify. I had to figure it out on my own though, even our pedi who we love wasn't much help. I don't think many are very well trained to assess poop issues.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Babies are ppl too, and everyone has a different poop pattern or cycle or whatever u wanna call it. My first 3 pooped at every feeding in the early weeks. With my 4th, it's been similar to what your describing here. I took him to the Dr and that's what he told me. As long as he's gaining and has plenty of wet dipes not to worry, everybodys different. However, after 3 or 4 days, I take a rectal temp and it's the stimulation that does the trick every time, usually within 2 hrs

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#6 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
I did take her in. Doctor told me to stop helping her poop unless she is obviously distressed and to keep a record of her poops.tgen I'm supposed to see him again in 3 wks.
He said we can't rule anything out but also that he has seen healthy babies her age go two weeks without pooping. He did some babies are just really efficient at digesting a perfect food like breastmilk and there is almost no waste product.
I'm hoping things turn out ok- DD is otherwise extremely healthy.

#7 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 AM

My son also breastfed and could go 3 days without pooping when he was that age and it was no big deal.  I'd just weigh him and make sure he was gaining steadily after the first week.  

He threw up twice in his first year and rarely cried, so I was at ease.

if your gut doesn't tell you something is really wrong and you're just analyzing, I would not worry about it.

#8 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM

It's been a good long while since I"ve had infants, but I know that my babies would go 7 days or more between poops. I believe the record was 10 days for us, but I've slept since then, so I could be wrong.  It does get a little dicey waiting "for the big one", but that's really all you can do is wait. If baby is wetting normally and gaining well and looks otherwise healthy, try not to worry about poop.  unsupplemented infants may not have significant waste. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#9 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 06:31 PM

Please look into putting your LO on an infant probiotic. I do not believe that going days without eliminating is healthy-- it's a sign of imbalanced gut bacteria. Did you have a c-section? If it was vaginal, how is your gut flora? Did you take probiotics while pregnant? Are YOU regular? Baby inherits the gut flora from their mama, so it's possible for them to be born with gut problems.

I wish someone had said this to me when doctors were telling me it was normal. It took me awhile to figure it out and my son is much healthier for it!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#10 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

My babe sounds almost exactly like yours. She was 3 weeks yesterday and poops, at most, every other day. She is otherwise healthy, nursing well and gaining about an ounce per day. She was born at home, and has been on a probiotic for over a week. I myself took probiotics my entire pregnancy and have a healthy gut (I am lacto-vegetarian, but eat very little dairy). I think for my babe, it is a sign of nutritious breastmilk being efficiently digested.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#11 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM

I think it's really common for breastfed babies to go a long time between poops because of how efficiently they use the food (but when they do go, watch out!), but it don't remember how early that happened with my kids. They'd both go a while between poops - one every week like clockwork, the other a bit more often. On the other hand, of course, it could also be a sign of problems. I'd watch for signs of health (appropriate weight gain, being alert, that kind of thing) but if the doctor said not to worry and everything looks good, your baby might be like mine were.

Anyway, here's the word from kellymom, though she says this usually doesn't happen until after 4 weeks or so:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/
Quote:
Dirty diapers: Expect 3-4+ stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often–this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is yellow and loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy. After 4 – 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal.

Tags
Baby , Breastfeeding

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page