Infantile Spasms vs Moro Reflex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-17-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is almost 10 weeks old and since day one of bringing her home I've worried about seizures. I've worried about her breathing too. I worry a lot. A few days ago I was talking to my mom on the phone when i caught my daughter "startle" in her rocker, but it wasn't her normal startle. Her arms were closer to her sides (kind of in a "come at me, bro" gesture) and her eyes got big. (she does tend to get wide eyed often though) and they seemed almost blank. She did it again, but much less pronounced and then nothing.

Then yesterday I attached her hanging toys to her rocker and was rocking her when she did a normal startle, but after did 3-4 tenses. She just tensed her arms out at her sides a little and spread her hands open, but each one was less pronounced. my bf caught the last one and said he thinks I'm being silly...

Then this morning she startled twice on my lap, but she was falling asleep. Shes also very jerky. She twitches and jerks around on me before she falls asleep or if she wakes up. Kind of like thrashing about. She also jerks around a lot in general. Is all of this normal??

#2 of 3 Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Also I used to change her on her pack n play changing table, but switched to her actual changing table and when I did she would startle multiple times and cry until I had my bf come hold her hands and she would clutch him and then settle down while i changed her. She doesn't seem to do this anymore, but it still scared me now that i'm thinking about it because she would continue to startle without and thing to trigger it because she would be laying flat and I'm always gentle with her when i lay her down....

#3 of 3 Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM

I would try to video the behavior to show her doctor, if you can. It s likely fine, but if she is having infantile spasms, you are better off finding out ASAP. The longer they go untreated, the more damage they can do. One of my good friends has a son with infantile spasms. She regrets waiting to get a medical opinion when she had a feeling there was an issue.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page