Having difficulty starting solids at 9.5 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I waited until 9 months to begin solids with ds2 because of digestive issues hes had in the past.  We started with avocado, he like dit for like 2 days and then kept pushing it away, now ive started egg yolk and he wouldnt even try.  im making it super watery because he gagged a couple of times on thicker versions.  

my older ds had no issues with solids, loved everything and progressed so much easier.  

im trying to just give him healthy fats because of his past digestive issues too.  

any thoughts? is he just not ready?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I know when I first started my sone cried and refused the first few times. I would keep trying. Can you puree some sweet potato? How about pureed beets? My son also like oatmeal that I cooked and pureed.

Good luck mama

#3 of 7 Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Have you looked at "baby led weaning"?  Instead of giving him foods, you could try just placing a few chunks of avocado or sweet potato (those are what we started with) on his tray.  Let him mess with them, drop them, do whatever he wants with them.  If he doesn't feel any pressure or frustration from you, he might just decide to start tasting them and then eating them.  Try this for a few weeks and see if you can get him to start enjoying the solids process. 

Also, gagging is totally fine and normal.  Babies have to learn to move food around their mouths.  My daughter has gagged on lots of foods, but never choked.  Keep an eye on him, but I would let him lead the way for now.  A lot of sources suggest continuing to offer foods that have been rejected five or more times, but again, gently and without pressure.  It's a huge transition for him and there's a lot of learning to be done. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Are you breastfeeding? If so I really wouldn't worry. Breast fed babies can go a year without table foods. As long as you are breast feeding on demand, don't worry he will take food when ready. 

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

#5 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agree with pp. my oldest was almost 12m before she had anything but breastmilk. First food was crackers she fed herself.
Neither my kids did the purée stage

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My oldest was 11 months before she was willing to eat any solids. She's a very healthy 11-year-old now. Try not to worry. smile.gif
#7 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started my DS2 late too (around 9 months). He preferred sweeter tasting veggies over avocado, broccoli etc. so I tried sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots and the like first. Perhaps keep trying different things to see what he likes? He also gagged a lot at first but is eating much better now and learning to chew/mash foods in his mouth. If you are wanting to add good fats, maybe offer some coconut oil on a spoon or have him lick it off a clean finger? I eventually mixed avocado into his sweet potato purees and he will eat them that way for now.

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

Tags
Baby , Baby Food

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page