Old enough to sleep through the night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

On average, my daughter (2 months) sleeps in about 4-hour sessions at night. But every once in awhile, she sleeps longer, about six or seven hours.  This is fairy recent, within the past two weeks.  Is this too early for this behavior?

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#2 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Babies are ready to sleep through the night at different ages. One of mine was 2 years old, and one did within a week of birth. The things to watch for are to make sure she is getting enough to eat. Is she growing well? Is she producing plenty of wet and dirty diapers? If so, I'd let it be. If not, I'd wake her up.
#3 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

She is certainly producing diapers of both varieties and has been gaining weight.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#4 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My daughter started sleeping 6 hour stretches around that time too.  She regressed at around 4 months but was back to sleeping 6 hour stretches by 6 months again.  Sounds like she's doing great, though it's good to be prepared for changes in the sleep cycles.  It's not always progressive.  But Mamazee is right that wet and poopy diapers is what to watch. 

The only other thing to consider is your supply if you're nursing.  I found that once my daughter started sleeping more at night I had a supply dip, so I had to start pumping once before bed.  I don't think it's necessary to wake the baby, but it's just something to consider.  Enjoy the sleep!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#5 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you baby is gaining weight and is healthy, I would count my blessings and sleep

#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first child was like that...the second one, not so much. I'd say enjoy the sleep if you're lucky enough to have it.

Tags
Baby , Sleep

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page