suddenly restless baby during the nights - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 6 months old, will be 7 months on the 22nd and over the last week and a half has become very restless at night. He used to sleep through the night since 1 1/2. Now swaddled or not he tosses and turns and randomly cries out multiple times. Never really awake. Some times so upset only a bottle will calm him and put him back to sleep. This lack of sleep is really getting to me and am wondering what could be the problem. I am a first time mom and am really at a loss. I feel bad that he can't sleep and lack of sleep is really getting to me too. I thought it was because he kept kicking out of being swaddled and his new found being able to roll  but tonight i swaddled him and put him in a sleeper sac and he still cried out .I don't know what it could be and if anyone has an suggestions or thoughts please let me know. Thank you. 

#2 of 5 Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Is he crawling yet?  My daughter had trouble sleeping the weeks before she learned to crawl.  She would crawl in her sleep and get stuck in various weird positions.  If it's crawling, it will get a lot better when he's actually moving.  I would also consider ditching the swaddle.  My daughter got really frustrated with the swaddle at 4.5 months and getting rid of it helped her sleep better.  But in your case the major issue might just be gearing up to move.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#3 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 AM

I agree with LiliTiger. My DD always became a horrible sleeper before major physical milestones like rolling, crawling, pulling up and walking. The other thing about my girl and me though is that we kept each other awake. I woke up to her every little twitch and she woke up to mine. I'm not sure what your sleeping arrangements are like but we saw major improvement when she was in her own space. She would sleep for an hour or so, stir, murmur or give one brief cry, maybe shift around, and then be completely out again in a few seconds. If I was in contact with her then she'd wake up fully and we had to start from square one. Over time I developed my ten second rule: i waited ten seconds when the fussing began to see if she actually needed help or if she was just going between sleep cycles. It worked out great for us but I know it won't be right for every baby. I'm expecting my second and plan to follow the same routine but recognize that it may not work for this baby. Anyways, I'd also try skipping the swaddle since it's easy to try and easy to start again if needed. The first year was a very steep learning curve for me: as soon as I found a good routine that worked, DD would start teething again or work up to a new skill and everything would be right out the window! The only constant really was change. By about 12-15 months things became a lot more predictable. Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 AM

It's either teething, or a developmental milestone.

#5 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 04:58 PM

I agree with sageowl. I have been in the same boat. Just ride it out. I found sleeping really close to dd helped. A few times she sleep on my chest like sh did whn she was a newborn. I just snuggled her close and even put my hand on her hip through the night and that seemed to help. While it was happening I worried it would never go back like it was. But one day it did. Hang in there momma!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page