Dumb (?) question about sitting up - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it's my inexperience with babies, so feel free to laugh at me, but... I've seen it referenced that babies will generally sit up without support in the 4-7 month range. In addition, one of the "readiness" signs for Baby-Led Weaning/Solids is that the baby be able to sit up independently, which is assumed to be the case for most babies by about 6 months.

My babe is 3.5 months and that just seems waaaaaaaay off in the future for her, but there are women I know with babes apparently sitting up around 4 months... or even earlier? It doesn't seem to be a rare thing, either.

It just occurred to me, though-- do they mean they are propping their babies on the floor in a sitting position, and the baby is stable/not falling over/keeping his/her balance, and can sit like that indefinitely (or at least for a little while?) Is that what is generally meant by "sitting up?"

Because I had always assumed "sitting up" meant that the baby got into the sitting position him/herself from lying down (I guess from a side-lying position, pushing off on hands, whatever).

If it's the former (you "sit" them up and they stay there), then I'm sure my babe will be there by or before 6 months-- she can already semi-maintain a sitting position if I put her in one on the floor (she can right herself if she slumps forward, though not if she falls to the side). But if there are lots of 4 month olds actually getting INTO a sitting position by themselves, then color me intimidated!

I really did Google and search MDC for this, but it's so weird how little detail there is-- it's just assumed people know what's meant by sitting up.

But what does that mean to you? Sitting without falling or getting INTO a sit as well?

Thanks!

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM

They mean the first thing (you put baby in a seated position and she stays there). The second usually comes right before crawling, more like 8-12 months.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#3 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

^^^  Yep.  Our daughter could sit unassisted by 3 months but couldn't get into a seated position herself until around 7 months.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thank G-d, LOL! It's so funny, all of the big websites just assume you know this... But I had no idea.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#5 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Usually a baby can sit up if you pull them into position/prop them much earlier than they can sit up and get there themselves. All of my babes could sit up with propping at around 6 months (when we started solids just a bit) but couldn't get there themselves until later by dunno 6 or 8 weeks later. They either do it but have awesome abs or doing a pushup with their hands.

#6 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I learned at an early childhood conference that if left on their own, many babies will actually crawl *before* they sit themselves up on their own from a lying position. But our culture is so into propping infants up that nobody knows this anymore. The RIE folks talk about this, and the value of letting babies discover positions on their own as they're capable of maintaining them.
#7 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrainbow View Post

I learned at an early childhood conference that if left on their own, many babies will actually crawl *before* they sit themselves up on their own from a lying position. But our culture is so into propping infants up that nobody knows this anymore. The RIE folks talk about this, and the value of letting babies discover positions on their own as they're capable of maintaining them.

Funny you mention RIE...  I had sorta kinda understood this concept from reading Janet Lansbury's blog, but a form of "propping"/"helping her up" has been just about the only thing I thought/said I wouldn't do that I have done.  I am trying to back off of it somewhat, though, as I feel my baby will be more confident and agile if she does these things herself.

#8 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I never really propped my kids up at all, it scared me to do it if they couldn't get there on their own.  Each of them did it really right after learning to crawl..... Like within a few days.  I do however, sit my babies in my legs propped against me to play sometimes, before they can do it on their own.  

Anyways, when people say sitting unassisted, I think of being able to get into the seated position and stay there without toppling over.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page