15 week old not a day time sleeper! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there, my 15week old baby is a terrible day sleeper!

she will hardly ever sleep on her own during the day (maybe once a fortnight) and if she does I have to lay next to her for at least half an hour till she properly drops off (and then go in a couple of times to settle her with a suckle back to sleep)
Normally she will nap in my arms for 15-45mins and that's it, she wakes up straight away if I try put her down, even with me laying next to her.
We co-sleep at night, she is pretty easy so not complaining there, wakes maybe 2-4 times for a closed eyed feed and then straight back to sleep.

Any suggestions to help her sleep better during the day? I love my baby and enjoy being so close to her all the time but would love to get an hour or two without a baby in my arms so I can do some housework! Or just enjoy a cup of tea by myself!!!
#2 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Some babies are like that.  Can you get help so you can get a break during the day?  Or would a better sling or carrier let you get things done while she was still held close?

#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My daughter was just like that until around 3 months (your daughter's age, I guess).  I used carriers all the time (slings and then an ergo/mei tai) to get stuff done while she slept.  She gradually got better and better until now she takes two long naps per day alone in her crib.  We stopped co-sleeping at 4 months though, so she was used to sleeping on her own at night too.  If co-sleeping at night is working for you, you may want to consider just using the carriers for her daytime naps.  Soon she'll be a little more independent (when she can sit up on her own and play with toys) and you'll be able to get more done.  The early months were very hard for me because I felt like I was attached to her ALL the time.  But it passes.  Good luck!

jadeandlola likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 AM

Our daughter Luthien has never been much of a daytime sleeper either. She's now almost seven months and as LilyTiger described, because she can sit up and entertain herself with her toys while my husband and I are nearby, she is content to do so long enough for us to get things done. Before she reached this stage, we often traded off: one of us would hang out with her while the other did a task, and then we'd switch. She also liked being carried in her sling or Ergo. We were given a bouncy seat that we put on the counter so she could watch us cut up vegetables for dinner and we could engage her in conversation, with her hands safe from knives and the stove. She was never in it for very long--just long enough for us to complete a task that could've endangered her. 

The plus side is that she sleeps in about four-hour blocks at night, so we get a decent rest. 

Naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, writer, avid commuting cyclist and community-theater performer; joyful mother of Kathryn (adopted summer 2011) lady.gifand Luthien (born 11.30.12babyf.gif), and guardian of seven feline ascended masterscat.gif!

weadopted.gifbuddamomimg1.pngbftoddler.giffamilybed1.gif namaste.gifcd.giftrekkie.gif 

#5 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Babies and young children crave security and protection, it's engrained for most of human history when it was too risky to leave them alone.
My son napped best in the sling until at 13 months and I began to transfer him to the family bed and then roll away for a short while. Another set up that can work if your baby doesn't depend on active motion to sleep (such as in a sling), but if you can set up an area on the floor and nurse baby to sleep (until hands open/limp arm stage) then roll away, it is easier on a very firm surface. I stay nearby reading, folding laundry, online.
Keep in mind an infant sleep cycle is only about 40 minutes (adult is 90 min.).
It's normal for babies and young children to wake between cycles and need to be resettled.
#6 of 7 Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

The baby carrier will be your friend for a few months! Your catnapper will happily sleep and wake strapped to you, and you kind of get used to doing stuff with a baby on you.

It won't last forever, I promise!

#7 of 7 Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM

My babe (16 weeks) is the same way, but I never thought anything of it. She sleeps similarly through the night (dream feeds and we might get up once, briefly, for the potty (we EC). But she takes mostly just short naps (20-40 minutes) and either on one of us (carrier or no) or she falls asleep on us and then we put her down. Maybe once a week or so, she will take a long nap (over an hour). shrug.gif DH is home a lot, so I still get things done, but he finds she is pretty happy to be worn while he does his chores, anyway... Usually FFO in a woven wrap. (And she's not easily satisfied, FWIW-- not a chill baby.)

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page