starting solids - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I know that you aren't supposed to start solids till baby is 6 months. But what if he is younger than that and clearly interested in real food. My first two kids started at 4 months, the LO3 at 5 months, and nothing adverse happened.
I guess what I'm getting at here is, is it wrong to watch the baby instead of the calendar? It seems like with medical recommendations, todays truth is tomorrows lie kwim? So that right there makes me apt to let LO lead the way regardless of what calendar months I'm looking at...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#2 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am a bit of a stickler for the 6 month rule. I think it doesn't hurt to allow their gut as long as possible to mature. And both my girls have been avidly interested in *everything* we had in our hands. I don't think they connected the feeling of hungry with the interesting stuff we had in our hands. I know plenty of people do start early, that's just my view on the matter.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess there is no right or wrong date to start solids if the baby is ready! The most important thing is to make healthy choices for your baby. 

#4 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

He is still EBF, at least I consider him to be.
We have let him suck on watermelon and apple. And taste a little avocado. But he hadn't actually *ate* solids yet, just tasted them. Is that at least ok until he reaches 6 mo?

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#5 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 PM

My baby started at 4 and a half months, bananas, avocados, pureed food. At 6 months he was already eating chicken and fish!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#6 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM

mine started at 5.5 months old just 1-2 spoons we take it lightly an 90% still breast milk

#7 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't think "interest in solids" is any different than interest in chewing on paper or dirty shoes in a baby. My 6 month old would LOVE to do both.

They are interested in things you have, not food per se. I would never give solids early just because he is interested in my food. I don't give my older kids food that isn't good for them just because they are "interested" either.

#8 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My personal feeling is that it's safer to wait until 6 months, because you can't be sure the gut is closed until then, and you're less likely to see allergies develop. There are other health reasons as well. I'll share a link here:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/
#9 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome link, thank you!

#10 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

I don't think "interest in solids" is any different than interest in chewing on paper or dirty shoes in a baby. My 6 month old would LOVE to do both.

They are interested in things you have, not food per se. I would never give solids early just because he is interested in my food. I don't give my older kids food that isn't good for them just because they are "interested" either.

This is such an interesting perspective. I don't think it would have occurred to me to put it this way. I'll keep that in mind for our baby when we are making this transition ourselves.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Tags
Baby , Baby Food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page