11 month old won't sleep help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Riley just turned 11 month and she just started waking up historically crying during the night, around 10-11 pm when I'm working. My husband tries everything the usual routine, feeding, playing music but ends up with her wanting to get up and play. If we don't get her up she will cry non stop. Even when I'm home she still acts up. I don't know what to do.
#2 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 AM

That was a super tough age for us and we went through this waking up to play phase too, except my girl did it between 2 am and 5 am. A few things that helped:
- make sure she gets rest during the day. We had big problems trying to get DD to nap at that age. We had to install blackout drapes and use a fan for white noise and those helped her nap and sleep better at night.
- until she grew out of this phase, I'd pick her up and put her on the floor with a couple of quiet toys and let her crawl/cruise around while I lay down on the floor, resting. The lights stayed off and she would entertain herself for a bit, then fuss, so I'd nurse her again and try to get her back to sleep. If she resisted, I'd again let her play on the floor, lay down and try again later. In a couple of weeks she went back to going straight down to sleep again after waking and nursing. By keeping everything dark and boring at night, she did get the message that it wasn't fun to be up at night. Other than that we simply had to ride it out. She has had sleep setbacks with every major developmental milestone and 11 months was huge: working on walking and talking at the same time. She was waking up, trying to practice her skills and not being able to shut her little brain down.

I hope that helps, right around one was the toughest age for us yet - she's 27 months now.
#3 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM

My six monthold started doing this recently. The toughest times for her are 2-4am. Sometimes I check this clock and want to do a happy dance if we make it through th night without her waking to play. It normally takes about a half hour to an hour (one night two hours) of quiet nighttime play before she fusses to be nursed and goes back to bedm I do the same as skycheattraffic...black out drapes and a loud fan. I used to get so fustrated now I just relax and lay there with her until she lets me know she's ready to go back to sleep. Naps are key so I do whatever it takes to get hr two'three naps in. Good luck momma hang in there
#4 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Sounds like teething to me.  The age makes me suspect that since mine was teething away at that age and was always waking up in the evening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page