What are the best gifts for a new mom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're all going to baby showers and visiting new moms and their little ones. You're the ones most recently realizing what gifts were useful, what weren't so useful, and what you wish someone had gotten you. So tell the rest of us what kinds of things we should consider when buying a new mom and baby a gift?

I like getting gift cards for take-out. I remember not having time to cook and clean up after cooking.
#2 of 6 Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I kind of like it when a mom has a registry. If she doesn't then I usually give money. I would much rather give someone something they need than something they don't or don't want.

A postpartum massage is usually a very nice choice too. 

#3 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good chocolate, really good body butter, a gift certificate to a yarn shop if she knits or if she doesn't, a gift certificate to a body shop, massage therapist (even if it knocks 20 bucks off) or for a eatery. I would have loved a new pillow too. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#4 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 PM

I love gift certificates for take outs and also to grocery stores. My second is five days old and I have all the gear, clothes, cloth diapers, etc she needs from her big sister. We're also knee deep in baby toys. What we need is a way to feed the four of us without stressing me out. My SIL wants to give us a gift certificate to a make your own freezer meals place but I hope she backs off of that idea. A) we have zero freezer space, B) freezer meals involve planning (although minimal). It would just stress me out, honestly. I'd much rather send DH on a quick food run on an otherwise hectic day than think of the logistics of frozen foods.
#5 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM

BOPPY PILLOW!!!!!!!!  useful in so many ways!!!

#6 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

We have a baby shower game thread in the July 2013 DDC that asked a similar question. Here's the list of what was posted there:

something homemade.

a promise for an act of service after the baby is born; a meal, cleaning house, going grocery shopping for the family, babysitting older children etc

offer to cook, clean, take siblings to the park, or rock the new baby while mom takes a few minutes of ME TIME

books for the baby

a meal, offer to clean/buy a maid service for them. 

a children's book that the gift giver read out loud and copied on to a CD so the child can have their own read along, in the voice of a loved one!

the perfect swaddle blanket

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

A massage

a gift card to a frequented store or restaurant with take-out option. 

a birth doula

money or a VISA/MC/Amex gift card

A package of several massages with promise to watch baby so Mom can actually take time for the massage

My Breast Friend pillow (http://www.mybrestfriend.com/), Lansinoh cream (http://www.lansinoh.com/), or a gift certificate to Bravado -- I love the body silk seamless bra and the essential nursing tank (http://www.bravadodesigns.com/). 

something from their registry

a rosk blanket 

http://shop.rainorshinekids.com/Woobee-Plush_c3.htm

a carrier your husband/partner is excited to wear!

Tags
Baby , Post Partum

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page