Awake and asleep hours for 10 week old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-08-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Despite some bumps in the road with a hatred for swaddling and crazy growth spurt nursing, DD has been a pretty good sleeper- especially at night.

She goes down easily at night sometimes unexpectedly early. I think I'm putting her down for her last nap around 5 or 5:30 but then she just keeps sleeping. I'm not complaining! My first was a "bad" sleeper to put it mildly. 

So DD will go down between 5 and 6pm and sleep till 6 or 7am (with 2-3 wakes for feeds), so that's 13 or 14 hours of night sleep! On some sleep info sites/books it says she should be getting 11-15 hours TOTAL sleep for the day at her age and that she should only be awake for 1-2 hours between naps. This math doesn't add up. I know there are variations and these are averages etc. 

I do struggle to get DD down for naps during the day and her naps are pretty short (35 mins-1 hr)- but she does eventually go down after lots of effort and she is definitely tired between 1-2 hrs of being awake. I haven't totaled up the number of hours of sleep she is getting each day but it's obviously more than 15.

I would like it to be easier/faster to put her down for naps and for her to nap a bit longer each time. Should I try to keep her up a bit later in the evenings? How should I go about this? Wake her up after her last nap so she doesn't sleep on through the evening? 

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You won't like my reply but I wouldn't mess with a good thing! That incredible night sleep would buy a lot of leeway for daytime naps with me. As long as she gets enough sleep and has alert times during the day and seems to be thriving, I'd simply let her follow her natural rhythms. Anytime I tried to tweak DD's sleep schedule to better suit my needs it ended up backfiring with a cranky, overtired baby.
#3 of 3 Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

You won't like my reply but I wouldn't mess with a good thing! That incredible night sleep would buy a lot of leeway for daytime naps with me. As long as she gets enough sleep and has alert times during the day and seems to be thriving, I'd simply let her follow her natural rhythms. Anytime I tried to tweak DD's sleep schedule to better suit my needs it ended up backfiring with a cranky, overtired baby.

yeahthat.gif

Sounds like you are lucky in the sleep department mama!  I feel pretty fortunate and my 10 week old sleeps 4.5 hour stretches at night!  He's so much better than DS1 I feel lucky.  He also usually has a few short naps (2-3 45min-1hr naps) during the day and usually one 2-3 hr nap.  I think short naps are pretty common at this age, as a sleep cycle for babes is about 45 mins.  As long as she doesn't seem over tired or over stimulated I would just go with the flow as her overall sleep total seems more than adequate!  Don't mess with a good thing!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page