Attachment Parenting, Seperation Anxiety, and Independence - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is six months old.  He was born in December and I went back to teaching at the end of February.  I left him in the care of his grandparents during the day until June when the school year was over. I was so excited to spend every minute with him as soon as I could! He has barely been out of my sight since that first week in June.

I practice babywearing and I hate to let my son cry.  I will usually go and pick him up.  It just breaks my heart to think that he might feel ignored or alone while I am doing some menial task like folding clothes or making dinner.  So, I drop everything to go get my little boy.

Fast forward to now, my school will start back in the middle of August and my son can't stand to be away from Mommy.  I have left him with grandparents twice last week (for about two hours each time) and he cried the whole time until he saw me again! 

I feel like I did the wrong thing by keeping him with me all Summer. It has been wonderful! But did I set my baby up for some heart breaking days when I go back to work in the Fall?  How can I make the transition easier for him without letting him "cry it out?"  I just can't do that.

#2 of 2 Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately, I think he's just at a prime age for separation anxiety to kick in, and short of being with him all the time he may not be 100% happy. That's how it was with my daughter. If it were me, I would spend as much time as possible hanging out all four of you - you, him, the grandparents. This might help him see them as "mommy helpers" instead of "wardens". I know it helps my daughter for me to help her find her center with extra people before leaving her. Good luck!

Tags
Work And Family , Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page