10 month old won't hold bottle or cup or self feed help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son will be 10 months old next week and he still won't hold his bottle or cup... he will if he's laying down but not for very long. He also will not even attempt to feed himself... is this normal? Does anybody have any experience with this that you can share or advice for what I should do? Thanks in advance smile.gif
#2 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM

I've seen that sort of motor control considered "normal" at 8-12 months, so I don't think I'd be worried yet. Maybe he's just not motivated by what the cups and bottles provide him. Is he reaching for and holding on to other, more interesting things? Same for the food, he may just not be interested in it yet. Also, I'm assuming you mean small cut-up pieces of finger food and not using utensils. 10mo is definitely still young for spoon skills :), even if other kids are trying it, it doesn't mean he's behind. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My daughter who is now 15 months old was the same at 10 months. I honestly didn't give it a second thought and when I read your post thought to myself "ok what's the problem?" I think it's totally normal and I would let your DS develop at his own pace. Just out of curiosity did someone tell you this wasn't normal? Why do you feel it's an issue?

My DD started holding her own bottle, sippy cup and feeding herself about 12-13 months. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

@cynthia yeah I meant he won't pick up food and eat it. He loves to eat if me or his brother are eating he wants some!! He just won't try to feed it to himself, he loves his bottles too as soon as he sees it he starts whining for it and I will lay him down and hand it to him I have to put it in his mouth cause he can't seem to do that himself yet same with food he will pick it up but I have to put his hand up to his mouth otherwise he will just drop it and play with it.
#5 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

@marnica I have a 21 month old son as well and he was holding his own bottle and self feeding by the time he was 6 months old and when he was 8 months I started giving him a sippy cup and he held that too without a problem and most kids I've seen by his age or younger could do all these things that why I wasn't sure if it was normal...
#6 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy2boys25 View Post

@marnica I have a 21 month old son as well and he was holding his own bottle and self feeding by the time he was 6 months old and when he was 8 months I started giving him a sippy cup and he held that too without a problem and most kids I've seen by his age or younger could do all these things that why I wasn't sure if it was normal...

Gottcha. My son did certain things much earlier than DD. I've learned to appreciate that kids develop and do things at different rates and that's ok. Im sure your guy if fine!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
#8 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Mine didn't like using a cup until he was 2, and wasn't huge on feeding himself either until about that age.  Before that, he was totally uninterested in either.  Now he is Mr. Independent.  Go figure.

#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

My 21 month old had his bottle till 13 months then his doctor told me to take it away because it was affecting his teeth, I took him to the dentist a few months later (when he was 16 months) he ended up having to get put to sleep and got 5 fillings done because of cavities. So I plan on taking the bottle away from my 10 month old right at 12 months old since he will be getting off formula then anyways... so I'm hopeful he will be holding his cup by then.
#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

my 21 month old stopped feeding himself right before he turned a year and didnt start feeding himself again till about a month or 2 ago so im learning how unpredictable toddlers can be lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page