fussiness/colic & daycare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

first off, hi! i'm new here :)

i'm supposed to go back to work on august 19th but i don't know if that's going to happen. my almost 8 week old is very high-needs and has been since day 1. he hates sleeping flat on his back and pretty much refuses to do so. he needs to be bounced/rocked/walked to sleep and never falls asleep on his own. if he's sleepy and i'm walking with him, he doesn't like if i sit down. he screams his head off and becomes hysterical. the only way i can sometimes get him to sleep on his own is if i put him on his tummy with a paci but not even this works every time. a lot of times if he's awake he's fussy and hard to please. he does have some content moments but some days it seems all i do is bounce him and hope he falls asleep.

how will daycare handle this? i'm terrified that he's going to be left in his crib to CIO and pass out from sheer exhaustion. i'm seriously considering quitting my job and staying home with him even though it's never been the plan. i'm so confused and overwhelmed.

#2 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM

How it will be handled depends entirely upon your choice of daycare provider. I would call the daycare and have a conversation about this. You might be pleasantly surprised. And, if not, at least you'll know what you're dealing with.
#3 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Oh, and just wanted to add that most 8 week old babies don't fall asleep on their own. Daycares know that!
#4 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have added that he won't stay sleeping unless I'm still holding him or occasionally if I put him on his tummy. that's my real concern. I'm not as concerned about the whole getting to sleep issue - it's the staying asleep that worries me. as soon as I put him down his eyes pop open and he starts screaming. his pediatrician told us that we should put him down when he's drowsy but we can't even get him to sleep away from us if we lay him down totally passed out asleep!
#5 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Most daycare providers that work with babies are used to dealing with stuff like this.  Definitely have a conversation about it with the people who will be caring for your child, and see what solutions they prefer (and whether that fits in with what you want for your child). 

For what it's worth, babies sometimes will behave in very different ways for strangers than they do for mama.  Trust me on that.

#6 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Will he stay asleep in a swing? Sometimes they do better with moving sleep at that age. Maybe the daycare would give that a shot? I'm sure they want him to stay asleep too!
#7 of 7 Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageowl View Post

For what it's worth, babies sometimes will behave in very different ways for strangers than they do for mama.  Trust me on that.

That's exactly what I was going to say!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page