Do your friends wear their babies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always felt like I was the only person wearing a baby. I knew a couple of other people who did, but I was a bit of an anomaly. I've moved since then and it's more common here.

How many of your friends wear their babies?
#2 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in the PNW and baby wearing is very common here. Every time I go to the grocery store or playground I see mamas wearing their sweet babes. I always smile and tell them how great it is to be hand free. Its great! I have one friend that baby wears a lot and the rest do in various situations. I get great comments from various people about how handy it is.
mamazee likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 PM

None if my friends wore their babies. My cousin who is very AP minded like me, does wear her son. In fact, we wore both of our babies until they were nearly one year old.

We live in a big city so if you go out you will see lots of moms wearing babies

Eri superhero.gif mom to our beautiful rainbow1284.gif DD (born 5/2012) and expecting our newest blessing stork-girl.gif (7/2014). I also happen to be married to THE best DH ever! partners.gif We're a proud Christian family!

heartbeat.gif " I carried you for nine months, and I'm going to carry you until you can carry yourself on your own." heartbeat.gif
#4 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 AM

Babywearing is very common here.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM

I have never seen any of my friends wear a baby, BUT most of my friends' kids were more like preschool age when I met them. I do have one friend out of state who had a baby last year, and she used a ring sling that I loaned her for a little while. Still, I see people wearing babies at the store or playground all the time. Mostly I see Ergo-type carriers.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#6 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I only know one person who "babywears," i.e. carries their baby in a sling most of the time for AP/developmental/ reasons. I know many, many people who regularly carry their babies in slings or use it as their primary mode of transport.

#7 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 AM

When we moved I noticed it was way less common. The occasional Baby Bjorn that's it. EVERYONE lugs their kids in those bucket carseats, which strikes me as so weird.

I have one too, and it's great for popping in the stroller or grocery cart to not interrupt a newborn nap, but people carry large and awake children in them through public places, usually not even using the stroller instead just awkwardly banging the seat against their leg with every step. They do not take the child out at any point, but prop bottles without even unbuckling them. Literally, I hardly ever see a baby out of one.

Wouldn't it be easier to babywear or just carry the kid? I have so many of these people gape at my sling and go "wow I need one of those!" And I go... "wow you sure do!" Im so curious why this is??? This area is slightly lower-income does that have something to do with it?

My neighbor even buckles her daughter into one before WALKING over to my house with her! The kids Christamas photo was in her carseat next to the tree!
LOL!
Ok vent over. Thats been bugging me for a while :-)
#8 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM

I see people every so often babywearing, usually just when I go to Whole Foods though...or on a hike, then I see Ergos a lot. Rarely on other daily outings unless I am going to a meet up with other Moms in my AP/LLL parenting group - then almost everyone is babywearing...just somehow I never bump into these other Moms while we are out.  I have no idea why that is, since there is actually a decent number of us!  I'm in New England.  

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#9 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra1 View Post

When we moved I noticed it was way less common. The occasional Baby Bjorn that's it. EVERYONE lugs their kids in those bucket carseats, which strikes me as so weird.

I have one too, and it's great for popping in the stroller or grocery cart to not interrupt a newborn nap, but people carry large and awake children in them through public places, usually not even using the stroller instead just awkwardly banging the seat against their leg with every step. They do not take the child out at any point, but prop bottles without even unbuckling them. Literally, I hardly ever see a baby out of one.

I wasn't that bad, but with my older kids I did lug that stupid bucket seat everywhere. I had slings, but I didn't always remember to bring them along, and I kept thinking it was just easier to leave the baby in the car seat. But recently I've been actually thinking about that, and it's not! It's not easier to carry around 15 extra pounds of plastic, put all that weight plus the baby in one hand, and have the whole thing banging against your leg. It actually kind of sucks.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#10 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM

Wow Myra, that's odd!! I admit I didn't wear my first and I did use the bucket - but as an extension of the stroller. I took her out all the time to nurse, carried her if she was fussy, etc. If we didn't take the car, we didnt take the seat, end of story.
This time I hope to baby wear more since I know more and because it'll be easier to chase my toddler while wearing baby. We also have a stroller with a second added seat because I love strollers for naps and longer excursions. DH and I share one car so most weekdays it'll just be me, a newborn and a 2.5 year old.

In the city where we live, AP is a rising trend and I do see a good chunk of baby wearing. Mostly wraps and SSC with a sling or two here and there. Most of my friends aren't the baby wearing type but at least one is. I also recently joined an AP group on Facebook recently and many/most of those ladies do baby wear.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page