Need some advice on caring for girl's diaper area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-15-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. My twin girls are 5 weeks old. I have some questions that I feel funny asking about cleaning their diaper area. I know that it is very normal for baby girls to have white vaginal discharge. My question is, should it be wiped off or left on? I noticed that one of my girls had some on her clitoris and (it looked like) under the clitoral hood. I feel so weird to be asking this, but they are my first kids and I know I am probably not the first mom to ask such a question. I feel less weird about posting this than asking someone in real life. Thanks in advance for understanding and answering my question.

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!
#2 of 3 Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM

Don't be embarrassed, mama! I always just did/do a gentle wipe when I change the diaper, not super rough or anything, and not with the purpose of getting all the discharge, but just to make sure there was no poop or pee left. Then when you're bathing them, take a wash cloth and gently wipe the area with water as well (I don't use soap on my baby girl's genitals).

The dr sears page on bathing babies was helpful to me: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/skin-care/bathing-babies. I know it feels kind of silly to have to ask, but don't worry about it. 

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#3 of 3 Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, ananas. Your answer put my mind at ease, the link was helpful, and you are right, I shouldn't be embarassed to ask this stuff! Us moms have to do a lot of up close and personal stuff when it comes to taking care of our kids...to me, it just feels so weird to wipe someone else's butt...LOL.

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page