Favorite bed-on-the-floor (moses basket? something else?) for an infant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our bed is on the floor, and we're looking for some kind of infant bed that we could put right next to our bed (so we have somewhere safe to put the little one when our toddler is in bed with us). Any suggestions? I know moses baskets are popular. Are they great? Is there something that would work better or for longer?

Thanks! orngbiggrin.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 11 Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Moses baskets are really nice for a little while, but they outgrow them quickly. I've got a lambskin ( http://www.ecowool.com/nursery-baby-and-kids/nursery-bedding/ecowool-sheepskin-baby-rug.html ) that I've put on top of a folded blanket next to the bed. That works nicely for longer!

Backroads likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, RedCanary. That's a good alternative to consider.

Anyone else have an opinion?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#4 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 01:25 PM

My twins slept in bouncy seats for the first few weeks and still nap in them at times, it's another option and I like the bouncy seat as it is a nice way to set babies down for a few minutes where they can still see what's going on. I also have a travel size pack-n-play that is nice for little babies next to the bed and is a nice safe spot for them if your toddler is rambunctious, but definitely pricier than a bouncy seat or moses basket.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#5 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

LO slept in a moses basket the first month or so, then preferred the bouncy chair. The sheepskin is a nice idea, I had one growing up, but if your baby is an active sleeper you'll have to be careful about that since there doesn't appear to be anything to keep the baby on the rug.

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#6 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Curious whether anyone has used the Montessori-style "cestina basket," and if so, what the advantages are over a Moses basket?

My first is on the way and I'm trying to figure out what to use. Thanks!
#7 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One of my facebook friends just posted this contraption.  I think it's super cool, but unfortunately over-priced.  It's really just a pack and play with no legs, and a zipper opening.  That zipper would be so handy though.  You could crawl halfway in to nurse baby to sleep, then sneak out and zip it up!  Or just sneak an arm through if babe just needed a little reassurance in the night. 

Backroads likes this.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#8 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Moses basket was great for us for about 4 months. Wish I had bought one with a shade to use it outside more.

#9 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Were any of you able to find a moses basket (or other basket bed) that didn't have a foam mattress? Or am I over-worrying about foam?

#10 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 PM

Depends why you're worried, I guess? I don't like foam for environmental reasons (non-biodegradable, supports big oil) but I'm not too worried for health reasons.

I hadn't realized they came with foam. :-( I thought they came empty. I was going to buy a lambskin. Hmmmm.
#11 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM

I would just put a regular crib mattress on the floor next to yours.  If your toddler is very rambunctious and you feel like you need to define the space a little better for baby, you could use a co-sleeper thing like this :http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Secure-Sleeper/dp/B00012CHFI/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1378138400&sr=1-1&keywords=cosleeper on top of the crib mattress until baby's bigger.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page