Weston A Price Formula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone have experience with WAPF homemade formula? I'm unable to BF as my milk never came in and have been feeding my 5 week old conventional formula. However I'm looking into switching to homemade. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this. Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 AM

Personally, I'm very suspicious of the WAP foundation, especially the position that one can safely make infant formula at home. Regardless of that suspicion, it should be possible to re-establish your milk supply with other means. A local lactation consultant would be your best help at this time.

dinahx likes this.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 AM

I would not use WAPF formula. Their position on formula is pretty unsupported by science. I would switch to Organic Formula & use probiotics too.

You can run afoul of Social Services by using something other than BreastMilk or real formula. I totally understand not wanting to use GMO formula. Mothers on WIC usuAlly have no choice, however WAPF formula would be very expensive to make & for that price Organic Formula is definitely an option. If price is a consideration, WalMart has an Organic Generic.
#4 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input, I indefinitely would like to hear all sides on this topic.

As for increasing my supply by other means, I'm working with a number of LCs, am taking 3 types if herbs, domperidone, feeding the formula thru SNS and pumping to additionally stimulate the breast. I've been doing all this for 5 weeks and still have zero output. Therefore this thread is simply to inquire about WAPF formula, not about supply issues. Thanks!
#5 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM

I chose to feel conventional formula when I wasn't able to breastfeed my daughter (which was certainly not an easy decision to make and it drives me crazy when people assume that you haven't tried everything). I know that breastmilk is best, but out of the different formula options I felt packaged formula had the most testing behind it and it put my mind at ease. Also, with newborns especially I feel you have to be pretty careful that things don't get contaminated, etc. during the process as their digestive tract is not as mature as an older baby's. Plus, I won't lie, after finally stopping the feeding, supplementing, pumping, and endless LC appointments I wasn't willing to give up the extra time with my daughter, we finally were able to take the time to snuggle and bond when that circus was over. YMMV

#6 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM

I have supply issues as well. I stuck with regular formula and would not use the WAPF stuff. I have heard good things about Baby's Only--it is advertised as a toddler formula only because they do not believe in advertising formula for infants. Also, have you looked into donor milk? That is what I am currently using.
dinahx likes this.

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#7 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

WAP is extremely anti-breastfeeding and has a lot of weird beliefs about formula. I feel kind of strongly about this because I had a cousin who's health was damaged from homemade raw milk formula. I'd stick with conventional and add probiotics. Baby's Own has the best reputation.

dinahx likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In response to the recommendation for Baby's Own and Only, was told by my LC to only use " ready to feed" liquid formula until DD is 6wks old. Apparently most of the contaminated recalls are for powder formula. The liquid stuff is pasteurized in the final packaging, so it's the cleanest it can be when you open it.

We're using Similac Organic until 6wks, but I have to admit I am really intrigued by the idea of homemade formula, but very, very cautious.
dinahx likes this.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#9 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may want to cross post in Traditional Foods. There may be people there who can speak from experience about using the WAP formula. :-)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#10 of 11 Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Buy the book Nourishing Traditions. It's gotta be in there somewhere. Or google it. I'm sure someone has it posted on-line. Good luck!!!

#11 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would totally recommend the WAPF formula. My daughter has trach and gtube due to some issues and obviously cant breastfeed. I am unable to pump due to an irratic schedule running her to and from appts and taking care of her 2.5 yr old sister. Kids with with tracheostomies are notoriously sick and my dd is never sick and is growing very well. We have used both the liver based formula and the cows milk formula. You can find the recipe on westonprice.org and the ingredients at radiantlifecatalog.com. If you use the liver based formula I would use the powdered liver from Radiant Life, I feel it is much safer than preparing the frozen liver and is higher quality than wht can be found in the grocery store. PM me if you have any questions.

WAPF is not antibreastfeeding, although I do think Fallon's opinion on extended breastfeeding doesnt make sense. Sometimes it is not as easy as suck it up and bf/pump.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page