Teething Already?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting to really think my 11 week old son is teething already. He's been drooling excessively for a couple of weeks now and at first I thought he was just a drooly baby. He doesn't take a pacifier very often but I offer it to him once and a while if he's fussy or won't stop nursing and lately he just chews on it. He's had an intense need to suck since birth so he's always gnawed and sucked on his hands. Hard to tell if he's doing it more or not. The past few days he's been fussier than usual. He still wants to constantly nurse, but sometimes whimpers at the breast. He slept fine last night but he wakes up from his naps more quickly & usually upset - sometimes for no obvious reason. He's been a pretty mild mannered baby so far. No colic. So, I know it's possible for babies to teethe this early. Am I just overanalyzing? Any way to tell for sure? I've tried feeling his gums but I don't really know what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Mine have teething symptoms off and on for a few weeks before the teeth make an appearance sometimes. Mine actually got their first teeth about 4 months. Makes sense to see some phases of drooling and chewing and fussing start up now.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks JamieCatheryn. It definitely looks like there might be some little tooth buds starting to poke through in a couple of places. Hard to be sure, as I never examined his gums super closely before this. From what I've gathered, teething this early is not all that rare. For the most part, he seems to be handling it OK. Still slept well last night, not too fussy this morning (although slightly more than normal). Definitely not preventing him from eating! I just hope he gets through it OK. I hate to see him in pain.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

My daughter had teething symptoms around 3 months and we were positive she was teething.  Her first tooth didn't pop until around 9 months.  Someone told me that they start teething much earlier than the teeth pop through as the teeth move up through the jaw.  So they can be fussy and drooly for no apparent reason.  While it's possible he's teething, I wouldn't be surprised either if he ends up popping teeth later.  I hope he feels better either way.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:58 AM

My first started teething around 12 weeks and by 3.5 months had her first tooth. It's totally possible and you're doing great helping him through. I hope he doesn't find it too painful

User Tag List