Baby Daycare Vacc (help!!?!?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been weary of vaccines from the beginning. I would just be so upset if she were different one day because of a bad vacc reaction! I have also heard many stories of children with vaccinations getting sick much more often than those without. I just can't bring myself to be ok with vaccinating her.

That being said, I am about to have to take her to daycare. Only kids up to 18 months. But still. They're not sure they will accept her without vaccines.

But she's only 7 months! 5 months adjusted (preemie). Her little system, I don't want to do that to her! My guts telling me to wait.

Anybody else struggled with this? Anybody taken their baby to daycare without vaccines? Anybody doing a delayed schedule? What, when? If I only get a few vaccines, which are the most important/least dangerous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
What state do you live in? There are exemptions, and you should be able to use it/them to get your baby in daycare vax free ;-)

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi! I'm in Texas. I mentioned the exemption to the daycare when I told them that Fiona's not vaccinated, but she said she would have to speak to her supervisor about it. Which makes me wonder if they will refuse her anyway.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Idk much about Texas. I think if the daycare is private they can refuse you, but if its like a free state run daycare, like head start or something, I think they have to accept you. Especially if you have a religious exemption because by not accepting you, they have discriminated against your religious rights, now they're looking at impeding on your first amendment rights.

But like I said, idk how it works in Texas. So you might want to try posting in your tribe and/or the I'm not vaccinating forum. I'm sure they'll be more helpful.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

Old 09-25-2013, 09:48 AM

Double post.... Oops

Old 10-12-2013, 11:39 AM

I was wondering if you had found a solution to your problem, as you last posted in September. Have you thought about nannying services where one person would look after your child and maybe one or two more? They usually come to your home. That seems like a great choice for parents who are not vaccinating or are delaying/spacing vaccines. The problem with daycare for unvaccinated kids is that the likliehood of them contracting a vaccine-preventable disease is much higher, especially when rates of vaccination in your area dip below a certain percentage. Herd immunity, for instance, fails to protect the vulnerable when vaccination rates for pertussis drop below 85%. The higher the rates of non-vaccination in your area, the higher the risk your kid may contract a disease preventable by vaccines. In addition, daycare centers have a variety of ages of kids and also a diversity of kids with certain health problems that may not be obvious. For instance, severe asthma is treated sometimes with systemic corticosteroids, which suppress the immune system. These kids can't get certain vaccines and are immuno-compromised...a child that isn't vaccinated for, say, measles could infect them and they could become very ill.

I recognize the difficulty in trying to do the best for your baby while also living in a modern world where we must also find childcare. I would opt for the choice that not only protects my kid the most, but also doesn't put other people's kids at any undue, if not unforeseen and unanticipated, risk.

User Tag List