Nap without mom - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 14 weeks he does awesome going down for the night but naps not great. He does nap but mostly in my arms or in the car seat if we are on a walk. Any ideas of how I could gently get him to nap on his own?
#2 of 9 Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM

How does he respond to being put down after falling asleep in your arms? Do you have anything with motion, like a baby swing or carrier you find comfy?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

If I put him down he wakes but fully awake smiles and everything. We have a swing and most of the time wakes. I do have an ergo he generally falls asleep in that but I would like even just a half hour of baby free time to rotate laundry or go to the bathroom all by myself smile.gif
#4 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 AM

The swing was the key for us when DD went through this phase.

I know you said he wakes in it too- make sure you are using it on a very high setting. It seems crazy, but they sleep better on the fastest settings. Also, do you swaddle? This might help too. And white noise- I can't say enough great things about white noise. Just loud static, water/ocean noises. It's got to be pretty loud and consistent too. 

You might be already doing all these things. If so, I'm out of ideas!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#5 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM

Could you take a walk close to home and bring the stroller inside while baby is sleeping? 

Any chance he would lay quietly and eventually go to sleep on his own?  Mine just started this, and it shocked me.  I started laying her down in the mornings in a pack n play in the kitchen so I could more easily get my older ones breakfast and give my back a break from wearing her all day.  What do you know, she'll usually fall asleep if I just replace a paci a couple of times.  So far it's most reliable for the first nap of the day.

She also usually fully wakes within 5 minutes of me setting her down -- just enough time to go to the bathroom!

Have you read the no-cry sleep solution yet?

#6 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

He breaks out of being swaddled. I could try white noise with the swing. He does fall asleep on walks but I don't want to depend on that cause it will be snowing soon and then that option will be out.
#7 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Depending upon your home you may be able to bring the stroller indoors and stroll around the house. I tried it but it was short lived my son awoke crying and afraid when he wasn't close to my body, went back to the sling for naps.
#8 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM

Sometimes just pushing a stroller back and forth works wonders.
#9 of 9 Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 AM

For a winter/nighttime solution to walking, I've found that wne she falls asleep in the carrier or on walks in our arms it's really the bouncing that does it, so at night, I bounce her in my arms on an exercise ball rather than pacing the apt. I do this during the day too if I am putting her in the swing. Just putting her straight in only works 1/3 the time.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page