Raw red skin in fat rolls :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure this has been discussed but the search feature is just giving me an error message. I am traveling and so can't take dd to her ped (which I honestly avoid as much as possible). I am interested in using an over the counter product as natural cures generally take longer and her skin was so raw when I discovered it two days ago under her chin and between her thighs/groin.  The first thing I tried was cornstarch to absorb the moisture, that just made a paste that stuck to her skin. The next day my family member said Aquaphor did the trick with her baby. I applied it to clean, dry skin yesterday morning. Now today it looks just as bad, if not worse, and seems to be spreading in some places.  I feel so bad for allowing this to happen to my baby -- I had no idea it could! 

Any suggestions or experience with this?

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#2 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Lasinoh works for me to keep irrated areas dry with a waterproof barrier. They sell it for breastfeeding moms so look in the baby feeding aisle. Any chance it could be an infection? Yeast maybe, or bacterial? A doctor could do a culture, but you can try an OTC antifungal like monistat. What kind of diapers does she wear? If they're cloth they may need stripping and/or sterilizing. If disposable, perhaps a different, low chemical brand or a switch to cloth? Also I don't know if she's eating solids, could have an intolerance to something she ate. Or laundry detergent. Is she teething, drooling and mucousy? That could do this too.

#3 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply.

My husband went out and bought Lasinoh to use when it clears up, good to know that can help prevent this again. He also got anti fungal cream, hydrocortisone cream, and Desitin. I found on many sites to mix equal amounts of these three to soothe and heal the skin. After her nap (now) she will get a bath and we will start this regimen. I'll share how it goes in case it could help others.

We normally use cloth full time at home but are using disposables because of the travel. We have also washed our clothes In different (mainstream, highly perfumed - yuck!) detergent while visiting family. She is also just starting to teethe and drooling a lot. No solids yet. So lots of changes in a short period of time and I bet they all contributed to this irritation. The redness was deep in the fold and I could not see it till I pulled the chub apart.

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#4 of 4 Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM

We use a calendula cream that works really well! At the first sign of redness (yes, I have to check in those fat rolls, too!) we use it and after applying a few times, it is gone by the next day.

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page