Suggestions for encouraging staying asleep? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I hate to bring up "sleep training" but I'm looking for a gentle method of doing it.  My 6-month-old has gotten into a bad habit of waking up every two hours and it's been going on for about two months after a wonderful sleeping pattern (full-night sleep is rare, but it was a good pattern regardless). 

I have been assuming it's a developmental thing, but I'm really struggling!  Bedsharing is not a safe option due to current circumstances.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#2 of 4 Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I had exactly the same thing happen with my daughter from 4 months to 6 months.  Most frustrating thing ever.  We used the No Cry Sleep Solution (I mention it a lot on here, but I swear I'm not a paid advertiser or something... it just worked for us). 

I also started giving her 1-2 minutes when she woke up at night to see if she was really "awake" or whether she was just coming out of REM sleep and would settle herself back down.  I found that she started gradually dropping one of her every two hour wakings per week or so until she was finally sleeping through the night.  I think the 4am one was the last to go, so it seemed to work from early night wakings being eliminated to early morning being last.  Which makes sense, since she'd be legitimately hungry by that point (at least that was my thinking). 

Anyway, she still at 13 months will occasionally cry out in the middle of the night and then settle herself back down.  I just wait long enough to judge the cry... if it's ramping up and getting upset, I go in.  If she's sort of complaining after her first cry, I see whether she'll just settle herself.  That worked really well for us starting at around your baby's age, which is, incidentally around the time they develop self-soothing abilities.  Good luck!

Backroads likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#3 of 4 Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I second LilyTiger. I have that book too and it seems like a good one. Babies need a little time to struggle (w/our support) with things before we rush in and fix everything for them. They're way more competent than we often give them credit for. 

Backroads likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#4 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I shall purchase the book, then!

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page