Traveling with baby; heaven or hell? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After a four hour car ride (2 hours each way) to visit family with my 11 month old, I am ready to swear off traveling until she is older.  I timed the journey with her naps, but she couldn't sleep.  It was lots of tears (which I'm SO not used to because she has not been a crier since the day she was born!) and one sleep deprived sad baby!  Listening to her cry made me feel horrible for dragging her along on such a long trip.  Now I am ready to call off Thanksgiving and Christmas plans because it just doesn't seem worth putting her through the torture!  Any experience with traveling with older babies?  What has it been like for you?!

#2 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was hell.

My DS loves to run and play and MOVE. He has been this way since day one. Seriously. I have not traveled much in the last four years!

Every trip is different, though. This one may have been hell and the next one might be heaven. You just never know. Good luck!!!
gardendweller likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Our drives tend to be 5 hours. DD usually wakes up during the night somewhere btwn 3 and 5 am and we would leave then, it's dark so she would fall back asleep. Or leave at midnight, with one of us getting tons of sleep the day before. Now we have an iPad, and it's cheating, but you could easily plug most kids into a movie for 2 hrs. We also flew with DD, cross-country with layovers, at 14 months (not walking yet) and 22months. While the airlines were awful as usual, she was overall fine.
#4 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We flew when she was 6 months old and she was really good, but I do think it helped that we were in and out of different environments (plane vs terminal) and she had a lot of things to check out. We then flew again when she was 12 months old and the flight was fine but driving 5 hours once we got there was kind of rough--she just got bored and we could only distract her with toys/snacks for so long. When she was 18 months old we took a really long drive (9 hours each way) and did most of it at night. I wouldn't take a long day drive with a small child if I could help it, but since we might drive for 1/2 hour to see friends on the other side of the metro area, 1 hour seems like a short drive to me, and to her, I think. In your situation I'd probably try to do it at night; since it is only 2 hours that should be doable. Or ply her with snacks and books and other entertaining items. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#5 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We did two separate trips involving 14 hour drives each way with our daughter at 12 months and driving through the night was the only way to do it.  That, or very frequent stops with long periods out of the car, which wouldn't have worked for a drive that long.  We barreled through and made great time, stopping only for gas and pee breaks.  She slept the entire time.  For shorter drives, like 5 hours, I've done it around nap time, but she still gets really upset toward the end.  I would try to do those after bedtime too, if your baby has an early enough bedtime to make it make sense. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page