When do naps/ sleeping become routine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5 w old bf on demand and sleeps when he sees fit. When and how do morning and afternoon naps become established? We seem to have a rhythm for nights, but not for daytime. Is this parent lead, or do they figure it out for themselves? I'm too lazy to have/want a strict schedule, but a rhythm would be nice.
#2 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: I recall that my DD developed a rhythm between 6 and 9 months, but I think it really varies. What have others' experiences been?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I started to notice a pattern to my son's daytime sleeping at about 4 or 5 months, I think. Definitely it was still totally random at 5 weeks!

#4 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM

I started seeing a pattern and rythmn emerge around 8 weeks. I pushed it a little bit myself by always trying to anticipate her when doing things earlier suited us, and asking for patience/distracting her when it suited us to wait. This parent-led bit was subtle-- never more than 10-20 minutes before or after she would have wanted something, and it only worked because she has never been a screamer. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I started noticing some organization around 12 weeks.  They start really organizing sleep around 4 months, and so I started encouraging a nap routine around that time.  Prior to that she just slept in the sling or on me or wherever without much schedule or routine at all.  I was serious about a night routine though.

After around 4 months we started playing around with timing and finally found around 6 months that the 2-3-4 timing worked well.  By that point DD was waking up at 7, going down for a first nap at 9 and then another nap at 1 and then bedtime at 6pm.  Starting at around 10 months there was another reorganization that lasted until around 13 months when we didn't really have a daytime routine at all (some days it was one nap, some days two).  Now we're pretty consistently at one afternoon nap around 12 or 1pm, but that still changes based on developmental leaps.

All this is to say that there's not a lot of predictability in the first year unless you force it and since it sounds like that won't work for you, try to find the rhythms in each particular stage and then let them go when they change. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#6 of 9 Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son is three months and I haven't noticed any pattern yet, except he will normally sleep at night anywhere from 9-11 pm to 2-4 AM. I think in general it is harder to schedule EBF babies until they start eating solids.

#7 of 9 Old 10-22-2013, 05:30 PM

No real pattern yet at six months. I know he will take a nap about 45 minutes to an hour after waking up in the morning. We call it the ridiculously early in the morning nap. After that, he sort of naps whenever he is feelin it during the day. Usually two more naps before bedtime. Some naps are 2 hours, some are 2 minutes while nursing. Whatever his little heart desires!

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#8 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM

I started to notice a pattern of naps when my daughter was 8 weeks.  And instead of imposing a routine on her, I followed her lead/rhythm.  She takes naps around 9-11am, between 1-3pm and again around 5 or 6pm.  Then she goes to get around 8:30.  She is a little over 2 months and so far this pattern has been pretty consistent, but I am sure it may change as she grows and develops.         

#9 of 9 Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Around six months I began to note a pattern.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page